Untitled 908

By Jarrett Felix

Ever curious what etrain listens to on those long train rides back and forth from the apple? I suspect you don’t care whatsoever. You probably don’t even care that I have an Apple pun in back pocket right now (it’s not a core piece of the joke to be fair). But I’m trying to get a post streak started in honor of the old blog that we are (hopefully) on the verge of passing before April turns to May later this year. So that means a post a day for as long as possible, chasing my record from the old blog. And that means you guys get to find out what’s on the April Spotify Playlist I have created! So if you like music read on. If you are looking for track talk, we have big things in store for you soon (the next two night should be fun). If you are looking for baseball talk, you are really bad at searching the internet for baseball talk. Now let’s ride.

Every month I build a playlist on Spotify to vary my music than I basically become obsessed with a few songs on the playlist and play them on repeat until the next month. In March, it was a combination of “Work” by Re and Drizz and “Pop Thieves” by Childish Gambino. In the last few months I’ve found a real passion for Childish actually so shout out to Alex Fox. I also was reading a lot of “The Rap Year Book” by Shea from Grantland (one of my favorites) in March so that kept me tilting in a rappish direction. Of course, I also have a really weird list of music interests. So I think that makes the list kinda interesting. No? Still not interested? Just looking for a place to yell at me in the comment section? Well, darn. I’ll just keep moving forward with this post anyway.

Here are 11 songs that I swear are really on my current Spotify playlist.

“Untitled 07” by Kendrick Lamar – This is the “Levitate” song in case you didn’t know. I can see why Kendrick is great and I love certain verses where he really goes in and such, but sometimes it takes me some time to warm up to his artsiness and stuff. I honestly just don’t think I’m a deep enough rap fan to truly enjoy Lamar’s grind. That’s probably why I like Drake. But I do really like this song, especially the first part. I usually skip that kinda odd outro part.

“Break Your Heart Right Back” by Ariana Grande – I put this on there because it features Mr. Gambino and I’m currently on a Gambino kick. But also I’m not ashamed to admit I love AG. She’s like an authentically good singer and I also like a lot of girly songs. I have Torri Kelly on some other playlists and I’d probably have a boat load of Tay on here if she was still on Spotify. I like some other AG better than this, but I’ll rock it. Maybe rock it isn’t the right phrase but still.

“Monster” by Kanye West – This is one of the best songs I know. I’m not always in on Nicki Minaj but her verse is absurd. I sing this song in the shower sometimes/a lot of times/I love this song. I like to do the Jay-Z sniff too. But if I’m not careful that can really back fire in terms of water up the nose.
“Girls” by Kid Cudi – I regret this decision. I keep trying to find new Cudi songs that I can jam too as I’ve basically exhausted old Cudi. I listed to Mr. Rager on repeat sophomore year just sitting in my room on my bed and surfing the internet. Probably blogging honestly. Possibly post streaking actually. My roommate may still have nightmares about that song and it really haunts you in a beautiful way. This song is not that song. And his has Too Short. I’m sorry but Too Short and beautiful are not words I can put together.

“Radioactive” by Imagine Dragons – It’s the Kendrick Lamar version. Naturally. Kendrick makes everything better it seems. You seen Ken and the Dragons do this at the Grammys? Watch that performance. Seriously. Right now actually. Don’t read on until you get through the video.

“Used To” by Drake – Did you watch the performance? Watch the performance dang it! This is just a great Drake song featuring Lil Wayne. There’s a bunch of those.

“Buried Alive Interlude” by Drake – This song isn’t really by Drake at all. It’s all actually just Kendrick Lamar (who I’m assuming you have now watched multiple grammy performance videos of because how could you not). It’s gotta be sweet for Drake to just have Kendrick come on, spit an elegant couple bars and slap his name and album on it. And the bars Kendrick is spitting? Pretty much how awesome Drake is wrapped inside an awesome metaphor. He pretty much just completed my life goal right there.

“It’s on Again” by Alicia Keys – This is a song from the Amazing Spiderman 2 sound track. Seems pretty odd right. Why would I have this song on-KENDRICK LAMAR. He spits the first verse quite lovely-ly and I’m in. And I actually am a big fan of Alicia as well, so I mean that’s good.

“Problems” by A$AP Rocky – A) I like typing out the dollar sign. I feel like it makes me seem more hip than I actually am. Or possibly less hip since I just explained that. B) I left out a bad word so, again, I’m really degrading the whole being thing here. C) This is another great ensemble rap song and I like great ensemble rap songs. A lot. Also Kendrick is on it with a big last verse. Kendrick makes everything better.

“Pay for It” by Jay Rock – Kendrick makes everything better! I just want to work out to this like Cam Newton!

“Backwards” by Tame Impala –Kendrick in fact does not make everything better. He’s on this song and I don’t really like that. I know, it’s crazy talk. But to be fair, it’s a song that’s on the “Divergent” movie sound track. I didn’t have a ton of high expectations for it.


Not making the list, although still great songs, “Open Season” from the good Pitch Perfect Movie (maybe I should say better Pitch Perfect movie as this implies the second one wasn’t good, it was good it just wasn’t perhaps the greatest movie of all time). What was I talking about?  

1 comment:

  1. Personally I thought it was interesting seeing what you were listening to. Pay For It was a good find. Also in a music/running related note I recently stumbled across this story. http://www.thealmanac.net/article/20150924/SPORTS/150929966 Daya might give you some AG vibes also

    ReplyDelete