PA XC States

So first off I just want to say that I plan on just blogging for fun on here. I'm going to talk running of all levels from Pro down to rinky dink road races if that's what I'm in the mood for. Also you can probably expect the occasional post about something completely unrelated to XC or track and field like my love for Drake songs or how much fun I have playing with the Warriors in 2k14. So be prepared for all that jazz, Karl Malone.

Now that being said, in my second post I'd just like to mention a few things I noticed when I looked through some XC results from this past year. First off, I gotta admit I am woefully out of touch. A lot of names on those results I was kind of like .... who? But that just goes to show you what is so cool about our sport, guys come from nowhere to be studs.

Here are some of my quick thoughts looking through the state results:
1. I feel bad for the AAA guys. I feel like this year the depth in the AAA race was unreal while the other races were a tad underwhelming. Look Griffin Molino is a flat out stud who should have Footlocker aspirations, but the fact of the matter is it looks like AA and A didn't have nearly the fire power they did a year ago with guys like Smathers, Kemp, Jones, Shearn, Williams, Jewett and Jaskowak all not even winning their respective state classes. Plus I heard they lowered the medalists down to just 15 guys! That's crazy! In the AAA that makes it very difficult to try and get on the medal stand.

2. Conestoga! Wow! If you had told me that would be arguably #2 team out of District One I would be flat out stunned. CRN probably was #2 based on their finish at the state championships, but Conestoga still had 3 guys in the top 50 including #9 overall break-out stud Andrew Marston! Wow, that's pretty crazy. Congrats to those guys for stepping up to mix it up with all the big names.

3. District One is still dominant. Look the WPIAL guys had one of probably the best 5 teams over the past couple years, but just like the O'Hara team of the past two years, they ain't got a state title to prove it. Henderson made it look easy which is amazing considering that NA had a pack of guys in the 20s-30s-40s and an extremely small spread. Meanwhile D1 takes 4 of the top 6 in AAA states and 13 of the top 26. District 7 was next I believe with just 5 in that section. And oh yeah look at those D1 times this year. Yikes.

4. District 3 has it unfair. It's amazing because on the AA side we have had lots of state champ for D3 in the past couple years, but on the AAA side there has been no luck for the D3 teams or individuals after the state meet. D3 hasn't had a legit state title contending team in a while despite having some very strong runners and the guys who are winning district titles like Patrick Reilly did this year, are struggling to run that course back to back weeks. Props to Brehm and Gebhardt who managed back to back good races on that course. That is no easy task. Carlisle maybe could have placed a spot or two higher with an easier course the week before. Who knows, but I think it's not really fair to these guys I'll be honest.

5. Names we saw coming ... and names we didn't. Look I had some sleepers looking ahead to XC and my list included guys like Alex Knapp of WCH, Will Cather, Jon Perlman, and Matt McGoey who ended up having quite nice improvements this year. But how about those guys that I never saw coming? Andrew Marston, Casey Comber, Paul Power, Hunter Wharrey? I always find that cool to see guys like this popping off big marks, especially the younger guys.

6. SOL National. Shout out to Forrest CRN on this one I guess. Brian Arita and Rob Simmons developing into sub 16 guys? And how about Alek Sauer and the Pennsbury boys? They lose Connor Harriman and now they end up being a team to make states? Impressive work boys.

7. Henderson. Looks like they are still dominant. Barchet has a huge state race, Russell just cruises and almost beats his own course record after a sub 15 at Henderson. Alex Knapp looking like the guy we saw at NXN regionals a year ago. Colllins and Waltz are top 50 guys in the state with Stratman their #6 at 41! Kevin Moy is a 4:16ish miler and he can barely crack the top 7. Wow this is a great team. I hope they pull a Coatesville in a couple weeks, I guess we will see.

8. Little Bros. It's cool to see the next generation of some names I new from my high school days. Todd Gunzenhauser, Drew Pastore, Ryan James from Lebo and O'Hara. Garrett Johnston from that Saegerstown state champ squad. Carson Ayers on state champs Tunkhannock. Yahya Souliman a freshman stud from CV.  Jeff VanKooten a little bro who goes back a ways to Scott. These guys are doing the family name proud.

9. I'm a little out of touch I got a bit beat up in the fantasy draft. Oh well, I guess I shoulda grabbed Nick Smart afterall ...

10. It's easy to be in touch. For the most part the best teams now are the best teams then. Let's face it, CV is making states every year out of D3. Henderson and CRN out of D1 have consistently been forces out of that district. O'Hara is up at the top again as per usual in the last few years and North Allegheny and Lebo take a couple state qualifying spots out of the WPIAL. Hatboro Horsham has another state medalist. They have managed to put a different guy on the podium almost every year which is quite impressive.

11. It's still fun. Regardless of how in touch I am, I still enjoy looking at the results and seeing what's changed since I've been away. And it's always cool to see how the PA boys step up their game and represent us well. As per usual, PA will be well represented nationwide.

No comments:

Post a Comment