Burdette Invitational

Before I get into the analysis I just want to say a couple things here. First off, does anyone like the raw results function much better than the new results format on penntrack? It's a cool idea and I like it because you can click directly on runners and analyze them ... but only if you are shelling out the cash for the site which I'd imagine most people probably aren't doing unfortunately.

But moral of the story here is I looked at the results in the raw format and I think it's nicer to look at.

Moving on.

It's now been 4 years since I ran in the Burdette meet and that 800m is faster than most of the 800m I have ran indoors since. It's my flat track indoor PR and arguably the best race of my life. I got 4th place in the race in 2:03.92 a step behind Hong Cho who I remember trying to get down off the final curve. Cho went on to run 1:53 that outdoors. I beat a young Drew Magaha that meet (also ran 1:53 that outdoors) as well as Craig Cassey and Matt Bee who went on to have nice careers for themselves on relays. I went on to run 1:59.8 in a relay split that outdoors. Good times.

Oh well I guess you lose some and win some. As long as the outcome is income.
-Drizzy Drake

Sooo now that I probably just lost half of my 6 person viewership with that boring opening I'll drop in a little analysis of this latest Burdette meet.

Lehigh's new track is definitely faster, especially for the shorter sprint type races and I think that is exciting to see. Lehigh's old turns were fairly tight and these new ones are solid for a flat track at 200m in length.

On to the races themselves (none of which I actually saw in person I should add),

I was intrigued by the 400m, I thought Stellato would win but he was 2nd in not that fast of a time. Maybe an injury thing? Nice win for Eric Jones in 50.83.

In the 800m, there was a nice win out of the slow heat from Joe Sullivan of Bonner, he notched a 2:04.09 mark to win and I think he definitely should have been in the fast heat, watch for him moving forward. Surprised to see Prep's Ferraiolo back at this meet, he's a stud and Malvern has been doing work, so might be a doubling thing of the sprint med. When he rounds into shape Malvern has a very dangerous indoor DMR. I'm talking state title hopes here.

I always like Liam O'Connell's ability. He ended up being a little overshadowed last year with the emergence of Alex Sauer as a certified stud, but he is a sleeper to make noise indoors. He shouldn't have a relay to worry about besides the 4x4 (unless they try and sneak together a DM with Webb but I doubt it with his 3k potential) and he will be able to focus on getting fast and bringing his times towards 1:56 type marks.

Two of the best stories from last outdoor season shined at this meet and that would be Radnor's Connor Holm and Watson Hanson. These guys were incredibly underrated last year and flew under the radar in cross because they didn't have quite the same flashy marks, but watch out for these two and their relay to really develop into something. I'm a big fan of both and it was nice to see Holm get a win in the 800m and of course Hanson grabbed an SQS which is always nice to have this early. It's only December remember.

Jaxson Hoey not only has a cool name but he has major skills. His XC season was quite strong and he is proving that transitions to the track. As mentioned, Ferraiolo was a 1:55 guy last outdoors and now Hoey is a big time 4:26 in December kind of guy. His win puts him in Mallon and Scarpello territority for this meet (and probably Palmisano territory as well). Look up those names and their times. We are talking 4:15ish kinda stuff if this development continues and he gets on a track like the Armory or PSU. And he is just a sophomore.

Those who have read my stuff know I've been on the Caldwell bandwagon for a while, nothing new here, doing strong racing in cross and at the mile which are really over distance type stuff as his true value will be at 800m this season and there is rumbling to add him in with the big dogs for state champion type material. I'll wait a little bit longer before I make a statement that he is level with Wiseman and Logue and Lewis, but he is off to a solid start without a doubt.

Garton was solid, he is also an 800m guy at his best doing solid over distance after a solid XC year. Tung and Grace are both nice pieces for North Penn. Where do they get these guys? Abert should be at 3k no doubt. But he will learn to love it, it just takes times and good results.

Those 3k times are fast. Very fast. I think Willig was maybe down around those marks in his day. Belfatto is running very well when many consider him an 800m man (probably a 12 guy on a very good DM). That is some serious over distance. Brophy is obviously a beast and another top soph to keep an eye on going forward. This kind of mark this early is very strong, especially because he likely took time off. Casey Comber is also proving he belongs next in the long line of Hatboro Horsham stand outs.

2 comments:

  1. Not sure about the 3K times being "fast". Last year we had 4-5 runners post time around 8:50 or lower by now. This year only one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair point but consider a few things
      a) most fast early season marks in the 3k are carry overs from XC fitness (Norris and Savage last year, Cummings this year)
      b) last year was the fastest and deepest 3k in state history, early season times were gonna be fast as a result I'd imagine


      but i think it is fair to say 8:58-9:02 isn't anything crazy fast anymore considering where the SQS is now a days

      Delete