Penn Relays 4x8 Final Rankings

I opted for a tier system rather than a full on ranking system. It's really hard to predict exactly who will fall where when there are 4 different heats of varying abilities and lots of teams from outside of the state that I am not familiar with. As always I would like to say these are just my own personal predictions.

If you would like to see a more indepth analysis of each team, feel free to look at my posts below. They should provide insight into what each team has on paper.

The Contenders (7:50-7:55)
State College is my only team I can say with confidence will get into the Championship of America race. They technically should be on their own tier I'd say, but to keep things fun I threw in two of the best up and coming squads in the race. Penncrest is on fire in recent weeks and Malvern Prep looks like they are on the verge of a break out performance.

State College
Penncrest
Malvern Prep

The Sleepers (7:55-7:57)
These teams are all going to be really fun to watch because they have so much potential to sneak their way into the finals. Pennridge and Bensalem each have a superstar leading the way on the anchor leg and when you have Logue and Francis running the anchor anything could happen. DT East rose to the occasion time and time again, I just hope all their guys are healthy. CB East in my mind has a great group of guys and, again, if everyone is healthy they will be hard to beat.

DT East
Pennridge
CB East
Bensalem

The Wild Cards (7:55-8:05)
These are teams that I really can't predict right now. Part of me wants to pick each of them to break out and run well under 8 minutes and part of me worries they may not be ready to run fast in a super competitive race like Penn. I have a soft spot in my heart for lots of these teams so I hope they are all on the faster side of things this weekend.
Cedar Crest
Altoona
Radnor
St. Joe's Prep

The Talk To Me In a Couple Weeks (7:57-8:10)
I think these teams all have the potential to break 8 minutes at some point during the season. Bonner is on my shortlist of state qualifying teams for outdoors in the 4x8. However, I'm not ready to pick these teams to be in that exclusive sub 8 minute club at the Penn Relays this year. I do believe that the guys on these squads should leave with some nice PRs and a valuable experience they will never forget.
Bonner
GFS
Haven

Worth noting: back in my day my Upper Dublin squad was in that Talk To Me In a Couple Weeks Tier with the boys from CB South. Both of our teams ran somewhere around 8:05ish and that was only thanks to big days by Mallon and Ellison. But at Districts we ran 7:59 and CB South ran close to 7:50 and qualified for the state championship. You just never know.

Happy Penn Relays Week everybody.

2 comments:

  1. Top tier predictions
    State College: 7:43
    Post: 1:56.
    Adams: 1:57
    Golembski: 1:56.5
    Cather: 1:51.5

    Malvern Prep:7:48
    McDevitt: 1:57
    Stec: 1:58
    Wills: 1:58
    Ferriolo: 1:55
    I'm assuming hoey won't run because he is in the mile

    Penncrest:7:56
    Emmanuel: 1:56
    Kamat: 1:57
    C. Kazanjian: 2:00
    unknown: 2:01

    I see Malvern and State college getting to the finals and State college with a shot to win it. Malvern will be able to drop a nice time and this will likely be their last shot at a hot 4x8 because of their independent status

    ReplyDelete
  2. Small note, I think some of these teams (State College in particular) will run faster in the finals then that 7:50 to 7:55 range, but in qualifying I see SC needing to only run 7:50 to get in

    ReplyDelete