2018 States - General Thoughts


General Thoughts
I’m interested to see how all the rain and mud affect the results at states this coming weekend. I’m not so much worried about the course as just the recovery of the athletes. If you’re running through super sloppy conditions at Buhl Park and then you have to come back and run Hershey seven days later, I don’t think things are going to be easy.

Plus, we already lost some talented runners at a variety of district meets because they had sub-par days at their district championships in the adverse conditions. That’s always kind of sad as you’d like to see the best all race one another, but it’s just a part of how things go.

I’m also quite curious about how the WPIAL guys will handle states. Over the past two weeks they’ve run two grueling races at Cal U which is widely acclaimed as one of the toughest courses in the state and now they have to come back and run at Hershey (which is no picnic). I hope everyone can keep their legs underneath them because each of the classifications has at least one team hoping to win state gold.

In order to project the state meet as best I could (because as I’ve been not subtle in mentioning, I’m not expecting to be all that great on the prediction front this year), I actually built out a full model with every state championship participant’s finish projected. Remember, I don’t run a blog any more so I’ve got some time on my hands. Last year, I did this for AAA and was off by, on average, about 20-25 spots per runner with variation in either direction. It’s not a perfect system (especially when you whiff on multiple guys from the same team like Bishop Shanahan last year), but it at least gave me something to base things off. Keep your fingers crossed I didn’t overlook any big names.

No comments:

Post a Comment