The Commit: Zach Skolnekovich


The interviews continue to roll here at Etrain! Next up in The Commit series is Zach Skolnekovich who was nice enough to take the time and answer our questions.

Be sure to look out for another interview later next week! I am also preparing the "I Love College" series once again which should be ready in the next two weeks or so. A lot more to come!

Garrett: Let’s start by talking about your senior year performances. In cross country, you were runner-up in the PIAA XC Championships (AA) and qualified for Footlocker Nationals. You later earned personal bests in the 800 and 1600/mile during the spring season which was capped off with a runner-up performance in the 3200 and a 5th place performance in the 1600 (both AA). Have you done anything differently in your training to get to this level of fitness?

Zach Skolnekovich: Yes, I increased my mileage and lowered my paces. In my freshman and sophomore years, I ran about 35-45 miles a week and six days a week. In my junior and senior years, I ran 55-65 miles a week and seven days a week. Also, I began to run faster paces during my maintenance and long runs. In addition to increasing my mileage, I lifted two days a week. 

G: You and Ben Bumgarner have often raced each other throughout your high school running careers (16 times to be exact). Is it fair to say that you two have developed a rivalry of sorts?  


ZS: Ben is a great runner, and he really burst onto the scene this past year. I am happy for him because I know all the hard work that he put in to get where he is. I wouldn’t necessarily say that it was a rivalry because I never liked to characterize a matchup like that. However, I really enjoyed and looked forward to racing him because I knew that he would bring out my best and that I would bring out his, and it was very fun toeing the line with him.


G: Quaker Valley has produced some top-tier teams and individuals over the past few years. What is it about this program that has led to so much success?
  

ZS: Two words: Coach Noyes. Noyes takes runners who ran a 5:50 mile in 8th grade, and turns them into a sub-5 miler by their senior years. Noyes also takes runners who ran a sub-5 mile in 8th grade, and turns them into a sub 4:20 miler by their senior years. He makes you mentally tough so when it comes down to the end of a race, you can push your body to the limit. Personally, Noyes was the best coach for me. He knew my abilities, limits, and how to get the best out of me. He would challenge me and play little mental games (as I like to call them) with me so that I would run the time that he wanted. To finish my tribute to Coach Noyes, he is the reason why our program and myself were so successful because he can take any average runner/team, and lead them to great feats.          


G: Let’s transition away from high school and talk about your college decision. Where will you begin your collegiate academic and athletic career? What will you be majoring in (if you have declared)?


ZS: I will be running cross country and track at William & Mary. I plan on majoring in finance, but will probably take general business classes my first year.


G: What were some of the other schools you were looking at? How did William & Mary stand out from the others?


ZS: I officially visited Penn State, NC State, Providence, Columbia, and William & Mary. I chose W&M because it simply felt right. I left both my unofficial and official visits wanting to commit on the spot (type of feeling). I could tell that W&M was the school for me because every conversation that I had about college ending with W&M.


G: Head coach Chris Solinsky was the first American to break the 27-minute barrier in the 10k. Did his credentials and experience as a professional influence your decision at all?


ZS: Yes, I would say they influenced my decision. For me, to be able to run under a coach with his credentials and experience is an incredible opportunity. Also, since he trained and competed at the highest level, I think our training will be top notch, and I will reach my greatest potential. Lastly, I think he will prepare our team for the mental grind that comes with competing in D1 athletics since he has had experience running D1 and professionally.


G: Have you discussed with the coaching staff what your training will be like? Was there a certain training philosophy the coaching staff had that you felt would be beneficial to your development as a runner?


ZS: I discussed my training with my coaches, and just got my training schedule for cross season. Coach Solinsky believes that the summer should be used to build a solid foundation that can be worked on during the season so there aren’t any planned workouts. Instead, he wants me to focus on my long runs, and throw in 2-4 progression runs a week. I think this will benefit me because it will make me strong so I can handle the jump to the 8k and 10k.


G: Did the idea of training and racing with PA alumni Cooper Leslie (formerly of Camp Hill) entice you to join the William & Mary program?


ZS: Cooper was actually my host for my official visit which made my visit very enjoyable because we got along well since he is also from Penn. To answer the question now, yes it did because I want to train and race with teammates that I get along with.


G: What kind of legacy/impact do you want to leave when your time with W&M is done? What are some of your goals for the next four to five years?


ZS: For cross country, I want to win NCAAs as a team. I know people are reading this and thinking that this kid is crazy (which I am, I run long distance). However, our recruiting class and returning W&M runners are very strong. Also, I believe Coach Solinsky will be able to bring in some national caliber runners in the coming years. If you combine all of those factors, I can see us winning or at least coming close to winning it all in the next 3-4 years. On the track, I would really like to qualify for NCAAs and run in Eugene.


G: What is your advice to runners (or anyone for that matter) as they begin their college search?


ZS: My advice would be to keep your options open. It never hurts to have a variety of schools to choose from. Also, don’t overthink it. I know that it is easier said than done, but when the school is right, you will know it.


G: Finally, any shout outs?


ZS: Shout out to my former assistant cross country coach, John “Pacman” Yankello. He was my training partner for my junior year cross and track and senior year of cross. He paced and pushed me during many long runs and workouts. He was a major factor in my development physically and mentally, and I wouldn’t be the runner I am now without him.

No comments:

Post a Comment