Happy Holidays: An Interview with CB East's Two-Time State Champ Jake Brophy

In the past two years, Jake Brophy has won a pair of state championships, set the course record at Hershey and qualified for two straight Footlocker Championships. We are thrilled that Jake was willing to answer a few (ok, I got carried away and it ended up being a bit more than a few) questions for us in time for a little holiday gift. Here's what Jake had to say about his fantastic cross country career ...

Jarrett Felix: How did you get your start running? Was it a natural fit from day 1?
Jake Brophy: I first started running in third grade with my mom. My mom has always been a runner and she did this 2-mile loop around the neighborhood every week.  One day she invited me to come with her and I loved it. I had played soccer and pretty much every other sport for most of my childhood, but after getting cut from the 8th grade soccer team I decided to make running my priority. 


JF: Your freshman and sophomore seasons came with a lot of success. What was it like competing with some of the state's best at a young age?
JB: It’s a pretty cool feeling. Competing is a strong word though, I would say I was in some of the same races with the likes of Connor Quinn, Tony Russel and Ross Wilson, but to say I competed with them at that age is a bit of a stretch. However, I was able to watch from afar and learn what it took to be successful in this sport. 

JF: You have been a stand out in XC, but what many people probably don't know is you have also been a critical leg on your school's 4x8 the past two years. Your sophomore year, you skipped the 3200 to help your team achieve in the 4x8 ... And ran anchor leg on the relay that finished a close 3rd at states. What was it like being a part of that team? Do you feel like racing in such a big moment with a state title on line acted as a springboard for your next seasons?

JB: I had a lot of fun running on that relay. Being able to receive the baton from my brother in the state championship meet is an experience I will not soon forget, and hopefully one we can replicate this year with my younger brother. While it would’ve been nice to get another 3200 in the books, I really enjoyed running with those guys (Mike Donello, Oliver Bouche, and Frank Brophy) and training for the 800. I think the 800 speed I picked up that outdoor season has allowed me to lay down a fast close on a few races. 

JF: What was your attitude at the start of your junior season? When the year started, was the goal to win states or did that come with time?
JB: Beginning in June, my team and I had one thing in mind, making it to states. Having those guys pumped about our prospects was huge and we put a ton of hard work in over the summer and early fall. Unfortunately we began to falter at the end of the season as the championship season rolled around, and just barely missed it by 11 points. Individually, I wanted to win states beginning in June.  That’s a lot easier said than done, and of course 2014 PA XC turned out to be one of the strongest years of all time. Realistically, there were 8 guys in that race that could’ve walked away with the title.


JF: After your back to back runs at Lehigh for leagues and districts, you had to feeling pretty confident. But did you ever dream of 15:24 on the Hershey course? If you can, give us a recap of your race and your thoughts. Where did that last 800m come from? What was going through your head when you saw the clock and your lead?
JB: The time we ran on that day was a by-product of the level of talent in that race. EVERYONE wanted it and no one was going to let the pace slow-up. In the first Abert-led mile, we went through in around 4:45, if I remember correctly, and I was in the front pack of about 5-8 guys. The pack began to thin out around the 2.25 mile mark as Marston made a move down the hill. Coming up that little gravel hill after we crossed the bridge, KJ made a huge move and I wasn’t feeling awful so I decided “hey, why not” and went with him. His authoritative move decimated that pack and left the two of us off by ourselves with about a 30m gap.  For anyone that’s been out to the course, they know about the crazy downhill that’s about 500m from the finish; part of my racing strategy was to use that uneven footing to my advantage. If you can get to that hill first, the person behind you has to spot you a few meters to avoid colliding, and that’s when you go.  When I saw the clock I was astonished, I had no idea how fast we were going. 

JF: The first year you ran Footlocker Regionals, what were the expectations? Was that a goal all season or just something that happened after your post season in PA was so successful?
JB: The decision to compete at Footlocker was made after states, and I hadn’t really thought about it before then. I was going to just see how it went and maybe come back the next year. 


JF: After a solid junior track season with some big PRs, you came into senior year with big expectations from not just those around you, but also yourself. Did you ever feel overwhelmed by pressure? How had your mindset changed from junior to senior year?
JB: The main goal was still the same; we wanted to qualify as a team. But individually I set my sights on the National race. With a goal in mind it was easy to keep our heads down and just work, pressure or not. 


JF: The CB East squad had its fair share of ups and downs. You had to incorporate a new group of freshmen onto the squad and got some strong competition from Spring Ford and Owen J Roberts at Foundation and districts. But after just missing states as a team the previous year, you guys made it in 2015 (and placed top 10). Where did that moment at districts rank among your career achievements?
JB: Definitely at the top. After working for 4 years toward this goal, it was an amazing feeling to finally do it. After the race we actually thought we didn’t make it, but after our name was announced we got so hype. That was a good day. 


JF: Your senior season there seemed to be a certain air of invincibility around you and there was certainly a lot of pressure at districts and states. It seemed like a lot of guys defaulted to you and didn't want to take up pacing duties. How did that affect your racing if at all?
JB: For most races it didn’t, I was able to go out there and just “do me” and run my own race. However, at states and districts the Hoey brothers made that a little bit more difficult. They’re tough competitors who can both grind or kick, so they’re tough to beat. But if I was going to lead the race for 3 miles, I was going to be sure I would win. If that meant slowing the pace in the early miles then that’s what I was going to do. 

JF: How were your junior season and senior season different, particularly those two races at states? Was there more relief to win the second time around the joy? Which win was sweeter?
JB: Junior States was new territory for me, and it felt great to walk away from that day on top. However, this year I had 7 other guys with me sharing that experience and that made it so much sweeter. Also, we had 3 freshmen on the varsity squad who got a taste of what that meet is like and are about to tear it up these next 3 years. Remember these names: David Endres, Cade Sands, Cole Sands. You’ll hear them again. 


JF: At Footlocker Regionals and Footlocker Nationals, you represented PA incredibly well with a couple historic achievements. What were those races like and did you feel different representing yourself and your state rather than competing with a full team from CB East. How did your results compare with your expectations? Do you ever consider your spot in PA history or does that sort of thing not matter to you?
JB: I am just happy that I have had the opportunity to further the states reputation on the national stage. I think there are a ton of underrated guys in PA, working hard but having a tough time navigating that gap between states and the regional meets. PA is a super talented state and I’m glad to be part of it. 


JF: Talk briefly about the way the Footlocker race played out. It went out super quick, but you ran poised and picked off a lot of people at the end of the race. Was this the plan from the gun or a mid race adjustment?
JB: We went out in about 2:14 for the half and 4:40 for the mile. At about the 1.5 mile mark, people started to pass me and I slipped back to about 25th around the 2 mile mark. It was a fast pace, and I knew the second loop would be tougher than the first so I saved a little for the last mile. Sure enough, the people who had flew past me in the second mile started coming back to me and I worked my way back up to 8th. Being in 25th was a scary feeling, but I felt confident that I could pick off at least enough to snag an All-American spot. I hadn’t really planned for that type of race, but that’s how it set up. 


JF: You have proven time and time again that you have one of the best kicks in the sport. Is that something that comes from your training or something in your mindset or strategy?
JB: It’s a combination of the two. Being put on relays in the track seasons has developed my speed but also I’ve started to use it in races a lot more often. 


JF: Talk briefly about your college selection process. Did you always want to go to Navy or did you decide that during the recruitment process?
JB: The Naval Academy had always been on my radar, but I didn’t know I was going there when the recruitment process started. I had narrowed my list of schools down to three by early October (Stanford, Syracuse, and Navy), and as you can imagine, had a very difficult time picking one. I chose Navy because it left the most options open. I am unsure of what my future career will be and the Navy allows me to stay diversified as long as possible. If I want to go fly jets, become a doctor, or run on the Olympic team (if possible), Navy keeps those options open. Also it’s nearby and I’ll be able to race against a number of PA guys, including my teammates, through most of college. 


JF: You have been on teams with both older and younger siblings. Talk about how these experiences have shaped your running.
JB: It’s been awesome. Being able to share experiences and big moments with them is a pretty cool thing. Not many people get to do that. Hopefully John and I will be able to get on a relay together this year. 

JF: What are your goals for indoor and outdoor track? And big meets (Millrose, nationals) scheduled for this year?

JB: I am hoping to make an appearance at a few big meets this year. I’m not sure which ones yet, but my coach and I will be sitting down soon to pick some. I’m excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment