All My Friends Are Runners: It’s All In The Family But I Am Of No Relation

Chapter 17: It’s All In The Family But I Am Of No Relation
Distance Running is a sport driven by time. And with time comes natural barriers. Just look through the chapters so far. I’ve had run ins with 6 minutes, 5 minutes, 20, 19 and 18. But as I switched my focus to track season, I set my sights on the simplest of barriers: 1 minute.

Before every new track season, Upper Dublin had a team wide 400-meter time trial. The 400 was the ideal distance for both sprinters and distance runners. It was probably too short for a distance runner, but anything longer would be way too much for a typical sprinter. The coaching staff tried to spread out the talent and then lined us up for heats on the track a couple weeks into the winter. This helped set the line ups for the first few meets of the year.

Now let’s back up a second and set the stage for this race because, although it sounds like a silly and meaningless event it was actually a monumental moment in my running career. For starters, my PR at the time was about 61 seconds. I had split it in my last race as a freshman on our Suburban One Frosh/Soph Relay. However, in practice just a few days out from the time trial, I had run 63 seconds for the last rep of our workout. So I was feeling pretty good.

I also had a bet going. I was trying to run faster than my friend Mark Pyfer in the time trial as he had been faster than me the previous year. I felt I had narrowed the gap. I’m not actually positive if the bet was with Mark or with Tanzer but there was definitely a bet. And the value of the bet was definitely a quarter[1].

So at this point, I’d say I had the perfect combination of confidence, swag and thirst to prove myself. Also it was a time trial rather than an actual race which played to my skills[2].

When the race began, I just went out and sprinted for as long as I could. I don’t remember all the specifics, but I know there was probably someone faster in my heat who I used to help pull me along[3]. Ultimately, when I finished, I could tell things went well right away. When the coaches told me my final time, I was ecstatic to hear that I had run 56.9 seconds which was a massive personal best and my first time under a minute in the one lapper. I can’t remember for sure if I actually made him pay up the quarter.

But believe it or not, this race wasn’t important because of the quarter. My time in this race beat a couple of the older guys on the team who had previously been out of my league. I think it was the first time I realized I could maybe be a decent team contributor one day. Also, just as importantly, I think it was the first time my teammates thought I could maybe be a decent contributor one day.

We had a team dinner to celebrate Cross Country at the end of the week and I was the most involved in team discussions I’ve ever been thanks to my 400 PR that day. For the first time I could really remember, I began to feel like a part of a family other than my own actual family. And let me tell you, it was one heck of a feeling.




[1] For some reason, I remember the quarter very specifically. I made a lot of bets for a quarter in my early high school years including one on a Patriots-Chargers playoff game. I might have a gambling problem.
[2] For some reason, I’m a real solid time trial. That may sound like a brag, but it’s not meant to be. I’d be much happier to brag about being a real solid actual racer. I think I just overthink the big races too much and get way too nervous which is why time trials play to my advantage. I can get the right amount of nervous for those (which is still more than the average person for a time trial as most average people don’t care much at all)
[3] Sam Ellison was also in this heat with me, before he reached true Sam Ellison level (we will get to that) and I managed to beat him. It was the only chance I would ever have to be in the same realm as him, so I’m glad I picked up the W when I had the chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment