Is The Hershey Course ... Too Easy?

By etrain11

They say absence makes the heart grow fonder. But sometimes absence just makes the heart find someone new to love. It’s now officially been over a month since I posted the last of my Top 50 Rankings and in that time, you’ve probably found a new friend in Blake Behney and rekindled an old flame with Forrest Kentwell. But I’m hoping, as the calendar flips from August to September, you may consider taking me back. Or at least let me take you out for ice cream. It’s free you know.

While Blake has been diligently researching to plan for the future with his team rankings, I’ve been awarded the luxury of free time to write about whatever I want. That’s been the Olympics (sort of, there are way more events than I ever imagined), that’s been The Running Diaries and, most recently, it’s been state championship history. I’m assuming that, because none of you are my mother or Garrett Zatlin, you probably haven’t read most of these posts. That’s understandable. I tend to drone on for a while without ever getting to the point. As you may have noticed.

But what I learned from the extra hours of research (besides the fact that I have odd choices for how to spend my free time) is that the Hershey course, the once frightening and oppressive beast, has lost some of its edge. Heck, I’m not even sure it smells as bad at Poop Out Hill as it used to. So I’m sitting here and asking you Pennsylvania, have we figured out how to beat the chocolate town’s golf course? And if we have … is it time to pick a new home for our state’s most enjoyable state championship?

So let’s just back up real quick. Spare me a quick moment’s history. In 2006, we had a Hershey Parkview lay out. In 2007, we made a slightly harder version. Then, in 2008, we debuted the current model. Everything from 2008 on has been “apples to apples” (this is one of my favorite adult business person phrases), meaning we can compare everything directly without adjustment.

Although, I’m not sure this phrase makes sense, I can compare oranges and apples just fine … but probably a discussion for another day. Getting back on track now …

It’s been 8 seasons now on the Poop Out lay-out. I’ve gone on record as saying how awesome that is as we have the chance to compare across multiple eras. For stat geeks and history buffs, having the state course in the same place is undeniably ideal. But a stat geek or a history buff can also see very quickly the times are trending downward in a hurry.

Let’s take a quick look:

2008
Average Time for AAA State Champs: 16:55
Average Time for AA State Champs: 17:41
Average Time for AAA 5th Place Team: 17:18

AAA/AA 1st – 16:10/16:18
AAA/AA 25th – 16:50/17:21
AAA/AA 50th – 17:11/17:45

2015
Average Time for AAA State Champs: 16:09
Average Time for AA State Champs: 17:15
Average Time for AAA 5th Place Team: 16:55

AAA/AA 1st – 15:39/15:49
AAA/AA 25th – 16:19/16:53
AAA/AA 50th – 16:43/17:20

Worth noting, those AA drops came despite the fact that the small school classification was essentially ripped in two when we switched to a three classification system in 2012.

In 2009, we saw the first sub 16s on this course from Brad Miles and Rad Gunzenhauser. In 2010, we saw five more guys dip under. After a blip in 2011, 2012 featured four sub 16, including the first outside AAA. Then 2013 had another three before 2014 and 2015 brought the house down. In 2014, there were TEN under 16 and then, a year later, there were another TWELVE. That’s 22 in the past two seasons after just 14 in the previous 6 seasons combined. After jaw dropping years from 2012 through 2015, things have to finally slow down in 2016, right? Or is there any chance we could see 16 sub 16 in ‘16? OK, actually I want that one. That one sounds cool.

Did you know that Jimmy Tarsnane’s winning time in 2008 would have been about 20th in merged results for 2015. That’s a crazy fact for anyone inside that top 20 without state gold. Now to be fair, there’s more variables that go into this equation (he types as he pushes up his glasses on his nose). There’s things like weather and level of competition for starters (2015 was such a good year the 15th fastest runner from states, Kent Hall, made nationals as an individual). I was there in 2008 and I was there in 2015 and the temperature was very different. Plus, as you may have noticed from All Decade Team, Jake Brophy is one of our best ever and having him help set the pace for back to back championships (right after Tony Russell I might add), has to count for something.

But there’s also elements like pacing, additional confidence and better coaching that have improved over time and led to better times. That comes from having years of experience on a course and takes some of the variability out of what used to be the most wildly unpredictable meet of the year (Outdoor States was easily the most wildly unpredictable meet of the year in 2015-2016. What happened to you XC?).

Just look quickly at the upsets. Guys are bringing their “A Game” to the state meet in recent year’s like they haven’t quite been able to in the past. I’d say I have a reasonably strong grasp on who the pre-race favorites were during each of the last 8 state championships (not to brag). So let’s take a look, just at AAA for now, at a quick tally of upsets, mild surprises, less obvious picks and obvious picks.

Teams
Upsets – 2008, 2011
Mild Surprises – 2012
Less Obvious – 2009, 2014
Obvious – 2010, 2013, 2015

Individuals
Upsets – 2008, 2010, 2011
Mild Surprises – 2012, 2014
Obvious – 2009, 2013, 2015

You can argue over the semantics, sure but we’ve seen a lot of big favorites winning in recent years and not a ton of upsets. Part of that is, again, the cast of talent we’ve seen. But part of it may be because guys are learning how to excel on this course. Those pivotal “off days” that used to swing state championships that used to be a fact of the meet are turning up less and less on the Hershey hills.

It’s interesting, last year at states I got the chance to talk briefly with a bunch of different teams. One of them was the silver medal winners, North Allegheny. I remember saying to them, “You know, this course is so difficult. You’re basically guaranteed to have at least one off day.”

And then one of the Tigers very politely responded, “Yeah … but, actually, we didn’t really have any.” And I thought about it, and realized they were right. In fact, you can make a strong argument that over the past three seasons they really haven’t had any off days. It’s kind of wild. Especially when you consider that North Allegheny was one of the victims to one of the biggest surprises in recent history in 2008 when LaSalle jumped them during their NXN year (shameless plug, I just posted about this recently).

Because here’s the bottom line. Having upsets may make things more fun, but we ultimately want the best teams and individuals to do well at states. We want to reward the hardest working and most talented performers. If we increase the variability too much, we will introduce a level of randomness to a sport that, in theory, should be one of the simplest out there.

Off days happen. There’s no getting around it. But I’m not going to sit here and root for off days to happen. I want to see everyone at their absolute best on State Championship Saturday this year. And whether the winning time in 15:20 or 17:20, if all the athletes leave knowing they put everything they could into the race and into the season, then I think we will have had a fantastic state championship.

But also, #16sub16in16 could be a really cool hashtag that would be a lot of fun. So maybe I’ll cut the touchy feel good stuff and just root hard core for fast times and that’s it. I’m no hip, young whipper snapper (clearly, considering I just said whipper snapper), but I think hashtags may be our ticket to getting to the blog to #8.

Stay classy and enjoy the classes.

Train

PS Check back tomorrow night for my AAA sleeper picks ... if you are into that sort of thing ...

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Sorry, just realized I never addressed this. The #8 thing was a little joke within our writers group chat that I've decided I want the readers to be in on. A couple weeks ago, I had a dream that some big track news happened and another website was helping direct people to the most important track news organizations. Said news organizations had this site ranked as the #8 site in that category.

      So basically, we are trying to make my dream come true by getting to #8.

      And yes, it's probably kinda sad that even in literally my wildest dreams, we are the #8 site but what are you gonna do.

      Delete
  2. I think we need to apply Occam's razor here. I posit that the reason times on Hershey are getting faster, is that the athletes are training better and getting faster.

    The fact that athletes that have never run the course before are dropping great times, dispells the notion that runners are "figuring out the course". Neither Hoey had ever run the poop out hill course before last year states, but both dropped sub 16 times, and in the top 10 times ever run on the poop out course.

    THe beauty of the Hersey course, is that it involves hills. XC is not just track on grass. Hills separate track only guys from XC.

    Its sad that the origonal poop out is gone. I hope the new course this year will be just as challeging a test.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about this as well and it's a great point. My only counter argument would be to look at the other major courses and study them for significant drops in average time. Maybe Carlisle, Lehigh, Coopers and compare their drops to Hershey. I haven't done this yet so I can't say exactly what the numbers look like, but my gut says they aren't dropping in quite the same way. Might have to be my next task when I get some time ....

      Delete
    2. I also believe that training to peak are the right time is becoming more prevalent.

      If we go back 4 years and look at Tony Russell's times; based on his entire body of work in track and XC, one would be hard pressed not to consider him one of the fastest PC runners of all time. And yet one year later Brophy demolishes his XC poopout hill course record by 21 seconds.

      I think we are seeing the best PA has ever had to offer the past 4 years with, Russell, Brophy, James, Marston, Molino and the Hoey brothers.

      Unfortunately we will never know for sure as yet another PIAA state course change will prohibit future comparisons.

      Delete
  3. I have not seen significant drop in times in courses like Briarwood, Van Courtland and Bowen (NXN course) like that ones we have seen in Hershey. Those courses are predominantly the hardest courses around and attract the elite athletes. I believe that better training has contributed to the fast times of late, but PEAKING at the right time and course knowledge has a lot to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The course got shorter in 2014, cutting a corner on those hills in the back.

      Delete
    2. wow, I did not know. If that is the case, if blows the case that today's runner have better training.

      Delete
  4. To add to my earlier post, I checked Footlocker times. They have not changed much over the years. These are the athletes who know how to train and peak at the right times. That being said, better preparation and training has led to faster times of late.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "...those AA drops came despite the fact that the small school classification was essentially ripped in two when we switched to a three classification system in 2012."

    Uh... no. The AA drops came BECAUSE there were now 3 divisions and it didn't rip AA in two. The PIAA took the same pie of 600 schools split previously 300/300 and made it 200/200/200, and that middle 200 now includes 100 teams that were previously AAA. It should be no surprise that adding 100 larger previously-AAA schools to the new AA classification (and dropping 200 previous AA schools to A) would result in faster times for AA. Love etrain, but had to point that out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I suppose this is true. But, at least in terms of the very top names, I feel like the top AAA runners were relatively unaffected but the top AA boys all split up. To be fair in 2012, Todaro and Jaskowak came down but then they lost Galassi, Jones, Smathers, Molino, etc. I think it would be interesting to see if you reclassified it back the way it originally was if that would have a positive, negative or neutral effect on the AA 25th and 50th times (1st was Hock so that doesn't change). I'll add it to my to do list ...

      Delete
    2. Alright, time to eat humble pie. I did a quick check and it looks like I was off on my assessment. I did a quick check based on 2011 classifications compared to 2015 classifications. In the adjusted AA race, 25th was 16:57 (instead of the 16:53 in the unadjusted) and 50th was 17:20 (the same as the 17:20). As for teams, unsurprisingly, the top 5 teams were AAA in 2011 and the #6 I believe is AAA during track so may now be big enough for the top 300 (South Fayette).

      Delete
  6. Tony Russell took PA XC to the next level.

    ReplyDelete