All My Friends Are Runners: The Freshman/Sophomore Relay

Chapter 18: The Freshman/Sophomore Relay
My freshman season of indoor track was odd because I had such mixed feelings about getting selected for a meet. I had to wake up early, I was trapped in a dingy indoor fieldhouse and I couldn’t shake this odd feeling of outsider-ness. But a year later, my attitude had transformed. I was excited to go to a meet, put on my racing singlet (no more gym uniforms for me!) and chase some PRs.

During the indoor track season, Upper Dublin High School was a part of the Track and Field Coaches Association of Great Philadelphia (or TFCAofGP) Meet Series. Each weekend, this organization would put on indoor meets at Lehigh, Haverford or Ursinus College and give all the schools an opportunity to enter one runner/relay per event. These meets would also include a special relay at the start of the meet for just freshmen and sophomores. Once you earned a ribbon in this race (I believe you needed to be top five to earn a ribbon), you weren’t eligible for it anymore, meaning you only had one real shot to win.

So naturally, that was the goal heading into my first frosh/soph relay of the season: a 4x800 meters. After my 56.9, I had clocked a 2:16 relay split in the first meet which gave me another big PR to feel good about. Based on that split, I got anchor duties on our relay. I would be joined on the team by my friend and classmate Todd Warszawski as well as two freshman newcomers, Pete Schartel and Mitchell Silver.

As you might remember, we didn’t have any freshmen join the cross country team during the fall so we were grateful to have a couple newbies on the track. Plus, Pete and Mitch were pretty talented runners and, as we quickly learned, strong racers. In their first relay appearance, they put us in excellent position at the front of the pack and ran some 10 seconds faster than I did in these meets as a frosh. By the time I got the baton, it was between us and Abington for the title.

Abington’s relay not only featured my childhood friend Tommy Hartsough[1], but it also featured a blazing fast freshman with a spiky haired mohawk. On Abington’s second leg, Kyle Moran[2] took the baton and shot off like a rocket. He moved his relay all the way up from deep in the pack to first place overall with a 2:07 split. However, on the third leg, we took control again and I got the baton with a small lead.

At this point, I could count on one hand the times I was leading a race with no one to chase. On the track, it was probably even fewer. I could feel Abington’s anchor close by, but I was having a hard time pushing myself to sprint away from him. I knew based on my early splits that I wasn’t running as fast as I had been the previous week, so I tried to dig deeper and find an extra gear.

On the final lap, Abington’s anchor surged ahead of me and I latched on to stick with him. I really didn’t want to lose it for my guys. On the home stretch, I prepared to launch into my final kick. I saw a small opening on the inside and I went for it. But when I did, the opposing anchor cut down on me and I was knocked slightly off balance. I then tried to swing back out wide and pass him on the outside but, over the course of just a 50 meter straightaway, I ran out of room.

It was just some stupid freshman/sophomore race, but for me that was one of my toughest losses. I felt like I had let an opportunity slip away that I couldn’t get back and, more importantly, I felt like I let my teammates down. But that’s the thing. I cared. I was officially 110% invested in this sport and this team. And sometimes it takes heartbreak to make you realize that. Perhaps in this moment, I became a runner.




[1] You may remember him as the one-year old that I ran around with at my first birthday party.
[2] I’m going off the cuff here, but Kyle may have been the best freshman half miler I’ve ever seen. I feel like his 800 abilities get somewhat overlooked in the history books because of injuries and things of that sort, but I don’t think it’s a coincidence that his four years in high school overlapped with four consistently improving results for the Abington 4x8

No comments:

Post a Comment