A Few Notes

So I wanted to take this time to note a couple things.

First off, I wanted to describe the top 50 rankings I will begin putting together later this week. Basically I'll be looking at runners from the window 2004-2014 (a period during which I have plenty of raw data and accurate sources to gather times and research from). Basically anyone between the classes of 2004 and 2014 (inclusive) will be eligible for the list. That means guys who are class of 2015 and after will not be included (i.e. Kev James, Colin Abert, Zach Brehm etc.). If you would like to submit some names for consideration feel free to comment below!

The basic outline of criteria I will use for my rankings:
1) State Championships- These are the most important stat for me, more important than times or marks like that .. Relay performances and team xc titles count for state championships, but individual titles will be weighted more heavily in my mind .. National titles and Penn Relays titles will also be considered as impressive achievements but will not be as important as state titles
2) All Time Marks/PA ranking- State records and state meet records both indoors, outdoors and on the xc state course are quite important as well. Also where times rank on my All-Time list is important. If you can show excellent range across a variety of disciplines that is a boost. Again relays are considered here, but are not as important as open marks. Splits too are considered.
3) Overall dominance and consistency- The most important goal of a season is to win in XC and to win the outdoor state championship. However, runners run year round and race all the time and those performances can be important in shaping a runners historic perception. District titles, impressive battles against rivals, large margins of victory and wow type marks are very important in creating an image. Signature moments of team work, willingness to sacrifice and excelling in off events are credible sources for increasing ranking. Also having a particularly impressive kick or memorable highlight from a big time race can boost your stock in my eyes.
4) Good old fashioned subjectivity- This is not a formulaic method or anything close, at the end of the day the eye test plays a big role and some biases come into play. I will do my best to be objective but is impossible not to have my own personal opinions influence my list. I hope you can still enjoy it and have a healthy debate.

Some biases I have that I will point out now just so all cards are on the table:
I like XC better than track, I was an 800m man at heart
I ran for Upper Dublin high school, Suburban One American and District One PA
I ran for Muhlenberg College in the Centennial Conference
I began following track religiously at some point in 2008, my best knowledge window is probably 2009-2011ish, but I still consider myself very knowledgeable about 2007-2014 with somewhat knowledgeable about 2004-2007 being my reasonably unhumble diagnosis of my abilities

So hopefully that clears up the list! Submit your names because I am going to need 50! And that's a lot more than you think. I'll be researching on my own and starting to put some things down on paper. It may take a while, but we have the whole summer I suppose.

Also I just wanted to let you all know that beginning next month, I won't be leaving in PA anymore. I graduated college this year and finished my track career about 2 weeks ago running the 800 one final time. I'll be moving to Long Island, NY which will be a big change for me and hopefully won't put me too far out of the PA scoop, but you never know.

Anyway if things start to fall off it will probably be because of things like having a real job and planning out my life over the next couple years and paying bills and fun grown up stuff like that. Just to keep you guys in the loop. The parents out there who read my stuff know what I'm talking about way better than I do so yeah.

Stay Classy and hook me up with names, splits and arguments.

Talk to you chaps soon
train


13 comments:

  1. Tommy Gruschow: Trinity 2011
    4 golds at District 3.
    State cross champ
    AA powerhouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was one of the top guys I thought of as well. Definitely very underrated.

      To go with that, Hong Cho. District 1 champ and state champ. Went 1:50 twice (districts and distance fest). A couple nice relay splits in the 12 (think 2011 indoor States DMR). Not a big xc guy but did big things on the track. He's someone I could see just missing or barely making the list.

      Delete
  2. I don't know what year these guys graduated but both Miller brothers out of Manheim Township.
    Obviously Craig, but some forget about Brad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Coatesville Dawson's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. fantastic stuff so far everybody! i'm in the process of narrowing things down now .. there is going to be a top 50 list and a next 25 who receive honorable mention because it was pretty darn impossible to even narrow down to 75 ... i'll still be looking at nominations and opinions for the next couple days but i am going to start to make a tentative order so i can start doing write ups on each runner

    Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Ben furt could be in the 40's or an honorable mention 2nd at states and peen relays and I think he went to xc nats

      Delete
    2. Connor Manley.

      Delete
  5. WC East's Andrew Lobb. I'm pretty bias, being a wceast grad, but I feel he misses out on some nice props being just out of range of etrain's golden years. And this being one of the few times etrain goes pre 2006, I wanted to get the name out there for history's sake. He was a member of their surprise state winning team in 2005 and won the 800 that year. That state winning team team was similar to North Penn of 2011. Third at D1 behind Henderson and Coatesville, they beat Manheim Township and the Miller brothers by just one point at states. Just a year before the legendary Coatesville national championship team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should mention lobb, I just did a write up on him today so you will likely see his name again

      Delete
  6. Thanks for a terrific blog! Great to see that some great contributors to PA T&F are being remembered. When you compile your list would it be possible to give where they went to college and their running success there? I have casually followed PA high school T&F for some time and always have wondered how our state hs runners did at the collegiate level. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Duffy is actually class of 2001 so he won't be eligible for this list, but that is a good name

    ReplyDelete