All My Friends are Runners: Glory Road

Chapter 3: Glory Road
My first season of Cross Country was a lot like my first couple weeks driving by myself. I could tell this was something really cool that I’d want to do for years, but I was also incredibly nervous and uncomfortable. Plus, I moved slower than everybody else on the road.

But admittedly, I had two massive PRs that summer. The first came in a local 5k, my second one I had ever run. I went out a bit conservative and then just tried to stay consistent through the final two miles. About half way through the race I noticed a runner ahead of me who I had not seen since my second grade birthday party. A boy named Michael Fuery, who I hadn’t talked to in almost seven years since he switched schools, was running just a few meters ahead of me. I recognized him almost immediately. It’s funny how life has a way of bringing people back into your life in the most unexpected ways[1][2].

So naturally when I spotted him up ahead my first thoughts were the same as anybody else’s would have been: “I have to catch him”. It took an entire mile of digging, but up the last hill before the straightaway turn to the finish, I was within striking distance. Then I put on a kick and sprinted by, I was ahead of him with about five meters to go and then I let up going into the finish line. I knew I had beat him. And then he passed me back, entering the shoot just ahead of me and that was that. I lost. I ran the fastest 5k of my life (so far) that day by over two and half minutes, but that race will always be special because I learned one of the most valuable lessons in running. Always run through the line.

The second came on a typical summer night over at Upper Dublin track. I was going to time trial a mile in the hopes of breaking 6 minutes for the first time. But in order to understand the significance of this moment, let me back up a bit.

As I’ve already told you, my first goal as a track and field athlete was to break 6 minutes in the mile. However, after an underwhelming year of sprinting[3] I was still stuck at 6:14. One summer night, my father and I went to see the movie Glory Road at the Regal Cinemas near our house. Everything seemed perfectly normal. And then all of a sudden my breathing was off. I started freaking out. I left the theatre and started to hyperventilate. I was very confused and very frightened and, honestly, I thought I was dying. As it turns out it was merely a panic attack, the first one I had ever had[4], and because when the panic attack hit I made the brilliant decision to panic … things didn’t go so well. At the time, my dad didn’t know what was going on either so we drove straight to the emergency room. What’s amazing to me (and in retrospect has become a funny joke in the Felix household) is that as I sat there, convinced I was dying, I said to my dad, “But … I never got to break 6 …”

Yes, my biggest regret of dying at the age of 14 was that I had never broken 6 minutes in the mile. What a strange breed runners are.

A few weeks later, fully recovered, I hopped on the track (literally, we usually had to hop the fence to get on), got some help from my friend Matt Tanzer the final 200m, and ran 5:48 for my first ever sub 6. Afterwards we shot around on the basketball court at my favorite park, Mondauk, and my parents took us for Rita’s. It was just like any other summer night.

It’s never really as magical as you think it will be. Looking back on it, I like to think of it like Quinton Cassidy’s first sub-4 minute mile in Once a Runner[5]. For much of the story, all Cassidy wants to do is go out and break 4 minutes in the mile, joining the elite club of sub 4 guys. Once Cassidy starts training with Coach Bruce Denton, an Olympic Gold Medalist and certified baller, his attitude changes. The first time he breaks four minutes in the mile is during a simple time trail run with Bruce. Nobody around or anything. To him, it was just another workout.

Seriously, how sick is that?

….

Four freshmen joined the Upper Dublin cross country team in Fall of 2009: Matt Tanzer, Brian Lee, Jack Mao and myself. Picture a chess club and you have a pretty good image of what the four of us looked like. We mostly kept to ourselves, didn’t take our shirts off for runs, you know classic awkward freshmen stuff. And, if you can believe this is true, back then I knew nothing about PA High School Cross Country and Track and Field. This was before the etrain account had ever been created, people. So I spent the summer learning. A lot.

My first cross country meet certainly fit the “learning experience” theme. I ran at Belmont Plateau, a course most famous for its devastating Parachute Hill. I’d never faced anything like it before and it zapped me clean of energy half way through my first ever JV 4k. I remember I stopped to walk at one point of the race, was last for the team and ran about 18 or 19 minutes. So pretty much a trifecta of terrible. I was pretty embarrassed afterwards: it’s hard to put yourself out there and just get crushed. But patience is one of the most important character traits of a runner, and, thankfully, I stayed the course[6].

That day was also the first time I witnessed a national caliber team: the Warriors of West Chester Henderson. The Triple Threat meet at Belmont plateau was unlike any meet I have run at before or since (it was replaced by the 4xXC meet). Here is how the meet was set up. Belmont had a 3k, 4k and 5k course set up and your top 7 was split 2-3-2 among the three races. You listed each runner in your top 7 in order and then it was randomly selected where each runner would go. In other words, all the #1 runners would run the 4k, the #2 guys the 5k, etc., etc. The meet was scored on combined time. I always thought this was a cool idea for an early season meet (and having run 4xXC, I like this set up better).

West Chester Henderson’s top three that year was fantastic, and they proved it on the trails. Chris Aldrich won the 4k, Chris Ferry won the 5k and Andrew Jervis won the 3k. Those top three were fantastic and they would take Henderson a long way that season. This meet was also the first time I learned that my teammate Mike Palmisano could be something special. He won the JV 4k with an impressive sprint finish.

It was the last JV race he would ever run.



[1] After basically forgetting the kid existed for nearly a decade, we ended up becoming pretty good friends again. He played on my intermural basketball team that winter (and hit a game winning shot), we tried to recruit him back to our Upper Dublin squad (he would have been a strong member of our top 5), and he even helped pace me in a 3k time trial over the summer before my sophomore year of college.
[2] This one gets a double footnote because that’s what I do. Mike’s sister was in my junior year English class at Upper Dublin. One day we played charades in class and the topic was “movies”. So I submitted “Prefontaine” as a movie. By a stroke of luck, Mike’s sister (the only person in the class other than me and a couple friends on my charade’s team who actually knew what the move was) was the one who had to act out the movie. She couldn’t get anybody to guess it and ended up point and at me and shouting in the middle of the game “It’s his! I know it’s his!”
[3] Yes, I was a sprinter in 8th grade. We had weight classes on our middle school team and I was the fastest one in our weight class (I think 105 pounds?) so I did it. I got fed up because none of our coaches knew who I was (I was listed as “Fox” for one meet) and wanted to try to grab some glory. Ironically, even after I switched to sprinting and starting placing high, they still didn’t really know who I was.
[4] I’ve handled my future panic attacks much better … Mainly because they were panic attacks about having a more serious panic attack.
[5] Just much slower and less awesome. Only difference.
[6] Horrible pun intended

No comments:

Post a Comment