Burdette Invitational

Predictions

Mile
1. John Daly, St. Joe's Prep 4:32.69
2. Andrew Hanna, CR South 4:33.11
3. Paul Power, Spring Ford 4:33.19
4. Ryan Tung, North Penn 4:33.87
5. Colin Wills, Malvern Prep 4:34.75

Other notables include: Keelan O'Reilly, Jack Carmody, Liam Conway, Kevin Lapsansky, Joe Previdi, and Sean Sullivan.

This race could be quite deep. I could see a ton of guys under 4:40 in this race, but I'm not sure I see anyone cracking 4:30 or so. I think this race is going to be competitive top to bottom and there should be lots of guys out there pushing the pace. John Daly is my sleeper pick for the win, especially because he is likely out for revenge against Hanna who beat him and his teammates out in the DMR last weekend at TFCAofGP. I think Tung has real sleeper value here after his solid 800m time in the early season. Lots of others not in my top 5 could easily crack the top group and I think this race is quite exciting on paper.

800m
1. Alek Sauer, Pennsbury 1:59.04
2. Khai Samuels, Pleasant Valley 2:00.73
3. Kamil Jihad, Chester 2:00.95
4. Oliver Boucher, CB East 2:01.22
5. Connor Holm, Radnor 2:01.58

Sleepers: Steve Cromity, Ethan Conway, Josh Faber, Riley Hannon, Addison Mueller, Matt Town

I think this field has a ton of compelling names on the entry list. Kamil Jihad grabs your attention right away because he has already become a top runner in the 800m as just a freshman. I'm not sure how he will hang in this big invitational so I put him mid pack. Boucher split 1:55 or so last year on the 4x8 according to my splits file, so he has the potential to compete for the win. I'm just not sure if CB East is in top shape yet, I expect them to be rolling by outdoors but it's still just December. Alek Sauer proved that he was in top shape at the Armory last weekend running 2:31 (probably going through in close to 2 flat on a faster track). If he gets the competition at this meet he may break Palmisano's record that Forrest alluded to in his post. Khai Samuels is my dark horse for the win. I think this guy is super talented and underrated coming out of District 11.

3k
1. Billy McDevitt, Malvern Prep 9:01.81
2. Julian Degroot-Lutzner, Masterman 9:05.74
3. Colin Abert, Easton 9:06.35
4. Lukas Marcelis, Wissahickon 9:07.13
5. Joe Maguire, CR South 9:08.48

Sleepers: Ian Davies, Seth Slavin, Connor McMenamin, Ryan Rasatter, Connor Sands

It's hard not to get too excited about this early season 3k. These guys are solid runners, but running sub 9 flat in December is really difficult. My guess is McDevitt is most ready to roll out of the guys on this entry list, but I'd be surprised if he breaks 9. JDL killed it in the 800m last weekend and now he jumps up to the 3k so I'm not positive how distance oriented he will be. Abert is a huge talent, it remains to be seen just how fit he is after regionals and sickness. Lukas Marcelis and Joe Maguire are real dark horses after really nice starts to the season and a good stretch run to the cross country season. Maguire especially could surprise.

This race is loaded with sleepers including McMenamin (an excellent XC runner as just a sophomore), Sands (a top 50 guy behind Brophy in XC), and Slavin (4:43 double off the DMR last weekend and a top runner at the freshman-sophomore race at Footlocker). Also worth watching is Ian Davies, the top senior on CB West's excellent squad. I'm not convinced this race will be fast, but I am convinced it will be deep and very competitive.

I won't try to predict relays because I just have no clue which relays will be loaded and which will not, but I think Neshaminy and Boyertown seem to be holding back a bit in the individual events. The same is probably true for Twin Valley and possibly Penncrest. I also wouldn't be surprised to see fast relays from CB West, Pennsbury and others.

Let me know your thoughts and who I missed!

7 comments:

  1. Ritz 1:52.81, Lewis 1:52.88. That's damn impressive for both of them in December.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Splits were incredible!! So even for both runners. I didn't see that coming at all, Ritz is on fire and Lewis' strength is truly coming together. It's a shame we didn't see a race like this a few years ago from Magaha and Willig. Ritz seems like he's on a mission to break both state meet records indoors with the mile/800 double that Endress took on.

      --ForrestCRN

      Delete
  2. There is a chesmont meet on january 6th at ursinus college, it is kind of like the chesmont championships. That could be a good meet to do a preview for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Video of the 4x8:
    Haven (8:12): Reeves: 2:04, Amir: 2:01, idk name (2:04), Kotchick (2:02.9)
    Penncrest (8:08): idk first leg (2:06), Kamat (1:58), Hanna (2:02), Emmanuel (1:59)
    http://www.armorytrack.com/gprofile.php?mgroup_id=45586&do=videos&video_id=129838

    Video of open 800:
    http://www.armorytrack.com/gprofile.php?mgroup_id=45586&do=videos&video_id=129813



    ReplyDelete
  4. What I've heard Sauer 1:56 MR, Power 4:27, Abert 8:55 (possibly on double from SMR team that won gold)

    ReplyDelete