Christmas in June? Inside the mind of NCAA Champ Chad Noelle

By Alex Fox ft words from Chad Noelle


Before I get into this, I have to give a special shout out to my good friend Dylan Jaklitsch. This wouldn’t have been possible without him, and he is what motivates my fascination and enthusiasm for the sport. Please don’t pants me when I make it up to you on the agreed upon conditions. 

 

I’ll never forget the first time I saw Chad Noelle. I was a sophomore in high school and had just joined the indoor track team. I had heard stories, more like legends, of a senior from Greene blowing by the best of competition without breaking a sweat. At my first large invitational, there was a buzz around Barton Hall (Cornell’s indoor track, where every indoor meet is held for Section Four for NY) as rumors swirled about the possibility of Chad racing. I was told his attendance was unlikely, but against all odds, jogging around Barton in all black sweats, there he was. At first I couldn’t believe this was Chad Noelle; he was scrawny and pretty much looked like every other goofy distance runner I’d ever come across (keep in mind this was my first running season). Then he raced. I don’t exactly recall what event he ran or what his time was, but I knew seeing his coast around that old oval in Barton, I was witnessing a special athlete perform. 

 

In high school, Chad Noelle posted one of the best careers in New York State history; despite not having a high school cross country team, Noelle was able to capture a Footlocker Northeast Regional title and go on to finish tenth at Footlocker Nationals. On the track, Chad was able to capture a state title at 1600 meters, a Millrose Mile victory, as well as a Loucks Games title at 3200m in addition to several runner up finishes at states and a second place finish at Penn Relays. Once graduating, Noelle committed to the University of Oregon before transferring to Oklahoma State University. At Oklahoma State, Noelle has had illustrious career which includes victories at Mt. SAC and Peyton Jordan (with a time of 3:38.35), multiple Big 12 titles at 1500m, a school record in the 1000m (2:22.55), and this past weekend, Noelle won a National Championship at 1500m. Noelle’s title was OKST’s first individual winner since German Fernandez won at the same distance in 2009. 

 

Being from Greene, New York, you were part of near nonexistent running program in high school; how large of a transition was it for you going from a tiny team to a massive Division 1 program?

 

-It was definitely a big transition. In high school my coach went to another school so he would text me the workouts and I would go do them by myself most of the time. Then it would be just me and my coach traveling to big meets. There was definitely a learning curve and I had some maturing to do. It was especially tough my freshman year because I got a stress reaction during cross-country and missed both that season and indoors.

 

Despite being from such a small area, you were able to work with then Bainbridge coach Robb Munro (currently the head coach at SUNY Delhi). How much of your success do you attribute to being able to work with him early on?

 

-I was very lucky to partner up with Robb in high school. When he started training me I dropped my mile from 4:21 to 4:10 and my 2 mile from 9:49 to 9:04 in a span of months. Without working with him in the beginning none of this would have ever happened. He trained me patiently and always looked at the big picture, even though I always wanted more. He wanted me to run fast enough to get a D1 scholarship but not over train me so that I stayed healthy and didn’t burn out. We didn’t do more than 35 miles a week my Junior year and never cracked 50 my senior year.

 

What did you learn from your brutal losses to Ubriaco and Luthin (2010 Two Mile (http://www.tullyrunners.com/Outdoor10/NYSBoysOne.htm) and 2011 Two Mile (http://www.tullyrunners.com/Outdoor2011/NYSBoysOne.htm) at states lost by a combined .13 seconds) and have those narrow finishes helped you become the deadly finisher you are now?

 

-Those were both huge eye openers. I’ve always been a great kicker (closed a 4:10 in 56 at 16) but kicking is an art and something you must learn to be a great runner. Junior year when Ubriaco caught me in the line after I celebrated early I was devastated. I was extremely embarrassed and I always make damn sure that it’s in the bag before I do any sort of celebrating now. My senior year when Luthin out leaned me I was frustrated. That season I was focused on pulling off the 3200/1600 double at states because it’s only been accomplished once and that was 30 years ago. I was trying to save as much gas as possible in the 3200 for the next day so I didn’t lay down a 100% kick and ended up losing by .02 at the line. I still took home the D2 title but that was a weak consolation prize. That race made me realize that you always focus on what’s at hand. You take care of the race that you’re running right then and worry about the next one when it’s time.

 

Transitioning into college, what made Oklahoma State a better fit for you than the University of Oregon and how difficult of a decision was it to transfer

 

-I’ve been very fortunate to attend 2 of the most prestigious and accomplished distance running programs in the NCAA. Out of the last 7 years, only 3 schools have won the 1500 at Nationals (Indiana (1), Oregon (4), OSU (2)). Coming into college I was about as green as it gets for an elite D1 runner; I’d run a total of 2 high school XC races and knew very little about the sport. While at Oregon I was a little immature and not ready for that stage yet. When I made the transition I used what I learned at my new school and it helped immensely. Coming to OSU I just felt a little more comfortable. I clicked very well with Dave and Bobby Lockhart. All of the support staff are excellent here, our director of ops Sean McCabe always gets me anything I need. Sean Jones, our trainer, as well as Melissa our masseuse keepme healthy. I also have a great team of guys and girls I enjoy spending time with. The decision was difficult. You really have no idea if it’s the right choice to leave and the transfer process is very stressful.  But in the end I’m happy about the way my path has gone.

 

Last year at regional, you ran into incredibly bad luck and didn’t run at Nationals. Given your victories at Mt. SAC and Big 12s, what do you think you could’ve done last year? Also, how hungry did that 1500 final from regionals last year make you for this season?

 

-Yes, last year I was the 5th fastest 1500m runner in the NCAA and had closed a 3:40 race at Mt. SAC in 53 point. I knew I was ready to roll at nationals then I got tripped and went down with about 400 to go in the Regional final. It was an extremely painful experience. It’s a shoulda-coulda-woulda situation but I think I would’ve been in the mix in the NCAA Final and could’ve placed high. My entire year of 2014 made me extremely focused this year. Indoors I qualified for NCAAs in the mile but scratched to focus on our DMR that was the favorite to win, but then that went terribly and we were 12th. Outdoors I fell and XC I was injured all season. So coming into 2015 I considered all 3 seasons to be a campaign and I’ve been on a mission this year.

 

This year during indoor, you were part of the crazy mile final at Nationals; what were you thinking when Soratos took off like that? 

 

-The indoor mile final I was running conservative because I just wanted to place as high as I could. When he made that move I was sitting somewhere in 9th or 10th and too far back to cover it. I knew it was a suicidal pace and that neither him nor Cheswould be able to hold it so I just hoped they would come back to us. But that didn’t happen enough so I focused on just winning the chase pack and took 5th. I had never seen any race where someone throws down a 53 with 1000m to go and then just tries to hold on, it was insane. I was ready for it when he threw down a 55 with 1100 to go in the outdoor semi-final. I was the first guy to go with him and we ended up running 3:40. It was probably the most painful way to run a 3:40 haha but I was ready for it this time.

 

The 1500m final this Friday: you were the NCAA leader,everyone knew about your kick, you were one the favorites, but you were matched up against the likes of Jordy Williamsz, Cristian Soratos, Johnny Gregorek, and Daniel Winn. What was going through your mind as you toed that line? 

 

-It was a matter of I knew I COULD win but you have execute. I’m always pretty confident going into a race but I was of course very nervous since it’s the NCAA final. I just thought to myself enjoy this, put yourself in position and give it your all and you can’t be upset with yourself. I had no idea how the race would go because there were a bunch of superstar guys who all employ very different tactics to win. It could’ve been fast from the gun, sit and kick, Soratos could drop a fat move in the middle; I just had no idea and mentally prepared for anything because I knew I could run any race.

 

You had your victory speech thanking all the right people locked and loaded after you won on Friday. Did you think about what to say ahead of time or was it spur of the moment? 

 

-I’d say it was a mix. I knew that I wanted to thank my mom on TV if I won. But I didn’t really think about the interview stuff because you don’t know what questions you’re going to be asked.

 

The gravity of winning a National Title at Hayword Field couldn’t have been lost on you. What was it like winning on what is not only the Holy Land of American distance running, but also your old stomping ground? 

 

-This season feels like it was scripted. I really couldn’t have imagined any better way to finish my senior season of outdoor. Running at Hayward is like playing baseball at Fenway or golfing at Augusta National. So to win here in front of a crowd of 15,000 and many more watching on ESPN including my mother and all of my friends made it extra special. It was pretty cool to come back and win at my old school as well because it proved that I can be good no matter where I’m at.  Winning an NCAA title is something you have a very limited number of shots at so to get it done feels absolutely incredible.

 

What’s next for Chad Noelle? Professional aspirations in the sport? The Olympic Trials next summer have to be on your mind?

 

-Up next I have the USA Championships back in Eugene in two weeks. Then I’ll most likely run a race at the Portland Summer Twilight July 2nd then I’ll probably be running the University Games in South Korea. I’ll probably go pro after I finish up my eligibility next March and finish my degree that spring. I’m definitely thinking about the Trials. I want to take a real shot at making the Olympic team. In order to do that I’ll need to run under the standard of 3:36.00 before they even start, which I believe is very doable. So I’ll spend the spring season focusing on that and tuning up for the Trials. Have the standard, advance through the 3 rounds then see what you can do in the Final and anything can happen. 

 

Do you ever use the “I’m a sub 4 minute miler” on the ladies, and if you do, how effective is it?

 

-I usually just flash ‘em a wink as I cross the line and tell her I’ll pick her up around 7.

 

What is your message for the rest of the Etrain writers who failed to pick you in our prediction contest?

 

-Haha. I’m guessing they might pick me next time.

 

A lot of our readers ***cough cough Garrett*** our curious about the beef between Jenkins and Cheserek. What do you make of it? Do they have futures as soap opera stars?

 

Haha I don’t think theres any sort of actual beef between these two. They train together daily and they’re both incredible athletes. Of course they both want to win every race they’re in and sometimes it can be frustrating if you don’t win even if it is your friend and teammate. You don’t become a 2x NCAA Champ like Jenkins unless you despise losing to anybody.

 

Finally, settle the debate once and for all: how terrible is Parker Stinson?   

 

-The only thing worse than his personality is his hair, ugh I hate that guy. Just kidding, Parker is actually one of my friends and we talk regularly. I remember my first collegiate workout in Eugene, we were doing 8x1000 on Pre @ 3:00 with 90 seconds rest. Not a particularly hard workout but for a guy running 45 miles a week in high school I was getting my ass kicked. I was giving life to hang on to the pack and Parker dropped back to yell encouragement at me during the last 2 repeats and that helped get me through. That shows what kind of friend/teammate he is.

 

 

There you have it folks. We’d like to thank Chad once again for his cooperation with us. For me personally, this was an awesome experience interviewing one the athletes that drew me into the sport in the beginning. It’s not often you get to see a high school hero win a national title and then ask them about it. We hope you all enjoy this truly awesome opportunity!

1 comment:

  1. This was awesome…. props to you guys for getting a guy of that caliber…. you guys are really growing

    ReplyDelete