Double Your Fun

by Jarrett Felix

For those of you who don't know, I'm a horrible doubler. Probably the worst in recorded history. Maybe that's why I value freshness so much in my predictions and I know it's why I have so much respect for those with the skill set to pull it off. Doubling is most tricky on a stage I've never stepped foot on: the outdoor state championships at Shippensburg University. And that stage is prepping for another critically acclaimed play at the end of May.

Although I've never tried the double, I've seen a lot of guys who have (some up close and personal, others thanks to our good friends at PCN). It's a tricky procedure with lots of obstacles to overcome if you are going to nail the thing. What's special about this meet over the others? I'll handle this like I handle many issues on this blog. By dropping a list.

1) Prelims - At the state meet, you have to run both trials and finals in every track event besides the 3200 meters (which seems to be enough fun already). For those of you less well versed in the track and field community, allow me to elaborate on what I mean by "trials" and "finals". The "trials" are run on the first day of the state meet and are qualifying heats for the next day's finals. For the 8, 16 and 4x8, there are two heats. The top four finishing teams in each heat qualify for the finals (8 total) and then the next 4 fastest times in either heat also are advanced to the finals (for a total of 12). There's no added bonus for fast times or top places, it's just all about qualifying and getting that "Q" next to your name on the results page.

Why does this effect doubling? Well, say you are trying to run both the 1600 and the 800 at states. You have to run prelims in both the 1600 and the 800 and, if you are fortunate enough to run well in both, you will have to then race the finals the next day. So instead of just two races like a typical meet, you are running four of them. None only does that drain your legs, there is also a mental drain from amping yourself up for the extra efforts.

2) Time - The state meet runs efficiently and surprisingly quickly. I'm not sure I ever realized how little time is between events until I attend the meet in person for the first time as a Junior and watched Mike Palmisano attempt the 4x8-16-8 triple. He basically went from one race to the next. On prelim day, you have a few extra races because their are multiple trial heats for each event, but on final day it's just that: finals. I'd say there is maybe an hour between any events that make logical sense to double between with the exception of the 4x8-8 double (closer to 2 hours I'd guess and the easiest/most logical distance double). Feel free to check out a meet schedule on PIAA.org or penntrack (amazingly I've never actually looked at a schedule, I choose to foolish operate off intuition for all my decisions and writings).

3) Heat - I feel like it's usually pretty hot at Shippensburg. Yeah, it's hot at a variety of meets in the spring. But for some reason, Shipp just seems to bring that extra bit of heat to it. And doubling in the heat is extra tricky. And if it's not hot, you sometimes end up with the nastiness that was the 2013 state championships with mad wind slowing down everybody across the board.

4) Get Up or Get Down - They say running is 90% mental and, while I feel that's probably an inaccurate depiction of the percentiles that determine distance running ability (getting extra nerdy for you), it sends the right message. You need to be mentally prepared to double on the big stage. That doesn't just mean you have to be tough enough to run hard when you are tired, but you also have to be properly motivated. This is a double edged sword. Sometimes, you have that awesome first race, maybe grabbing that long coveted state medal or pocketing the gold necklace and it's harder to get yourself up for race #2. The flip side is also true (i.e. you can be extra motivated from a good race, building strong momentum), but it's just another mental factor that piles on to a heavy weight on a young kids noggin.

5) You're race the best! - This is the most obvious, but somehow most forgotten one by people like me. If you are at the state meet, you earned your spot. You ran a great race under the bright lights at districts. You've got talent and a clutch bone. Everybody comes to states looking to do well, peaking themselves perfectly and, guess what, most guys that these doubling kids are racing are running on fresh legs. You have to be pretty darn good to beat guys who are pretty darn good when you are operating at a disadvantage.

But with all this in mind, guess what? Kids still pull off terrific doubles every year. Heck, Pennsbury had two guys pull it off on their same 4x8 last year when Alek Sauer and Sam Webb ran PR splits on their state championship 3200 relay only to follow it up with 1:51 and 4:12 times for all-state performances. Interestingly, both of those guys doubled at the state meet two years in a row (Webb did it three years in a row) and they both did it exceptionally well. Sometimes you just have a gift I guess.

But for every Webb and Sauer there is usually someone else who struggles. I'm obviously not going to mention any names, but you can take a look through old results for yourself and see what I mean. It creates a tricky situation for top athletes, especially those guys with relay obligations.

Should I talk about who some of those guys might be? I think you guys have some ideas. And besides, Nova is on TV, The Life of Pablo is on Spotify and Weekend Recaps are up. We have plenty of things to keep us busy.

Now if you will excuse me, I'm gonna go ahead and blast Fade and cheer for Arch.

3 comments:

  1. The content is outstanding. There's got to be a way to make the comment section more lively without needing to monitor 24/7.

    ReplyDelete