Pitbull Says Playoffs Fun

by Jarrett Felix

I felt like this blog needed a little NBA talk again. Is that accurate? Probably not, but in the words of the Joker, the blog needs a playoff basketball post, and I'm gonna give it to 'em. I think that's an exact quote. And here ... we ... go ...

1 Cavs vs 8 Pistons
Part of me wants to think this series will be close. Stan Van did coach Orlando when they upset Cleveland in the eastern finals a few years back, but this team doesn't feel as deep or as good at shooting threes. Lebron likely gonna turn it on, do Lebron things and pull it out. Lebron's teams historically obliterate teams in Round 1.

Curious to see how the team chemistry looks more so than anything.

Cavs in 4

2 Raptors vs 7 Pacers
The Raps have lost series with home court advantage the last two years and now face a Pacers team that has won its fair share of big playoff games (even if that squad looked quite a bit different than this one). They have defensive stoppers to make it hard for Derozan and Lowry to get theirs. And if they can just steal game 1, the Raps are in serious mental risk of freaking out and folding once again.

But ... I can't do it. I think this Raps team will have a little bit more in the tank than in years past as Lowry came into the season in better shape than years past and should have a bit more left for this series. 

Still, if they lose game 1 I'm gonna be nervous for this one. Myles Turner might swing this series either way for the Pacers so keep an eye on that.

Raps in 6

3 Heat vs 6 Hornets
I'm not sure I buy the Heat completely. They have the pedigree and history, but they don't have Bosh, Wade is older and Hassan Whiteside is the definition of a wildcard. They do have Justise Winslow though, who I'm on record of being on the bandwagon of last year, but he's just a rookie. 

On the flip side, the artists formerly known as the Bobcats have a history of being terrible and have literally no playoff highlights to point to in their franchise's history. I love their coach as he's a defensive wiz and defense seems to fly under the radar with all the focus on offensive, spreading the floor and everything. Kemba can be clutch on the big stage and he's had a step up year. Jeremy Lin has good hair?

I don't have a feel for this. My heart says Hornetcats but my head says Miami in 7. So naturally, I'll take the Hornets in 6. Can't imagine they win game 7 on the road in Miami so they gotta pull through in 6.

4 Hawks vs 5 Celtics
President Brad Stevens is a great coach, but ultimately it is a players game. And, despite great seasons from Bradley, Crowder and Thomas, I still think Atlanta has at least the two best players in the series if not the best 3. And it's not like the Hawks have a poor coach. Bud is sitting on the bench with a coach of the year plaque in his trophy case. 

Hawks in 6

1 Warriors vs 8 Rockets
Hahahahahaha good luck Rockets. Warriors in 4. 

2 Spurs vs 7 Grizzlies
I won't laugh at the Grizzlies because I actually respect them unlike the Rockets. But this series will be even less close than the one above it. Waayyy too many injuries and a killer Spurs team that, in case you forgot, won 67 games and only lost 1 game at home (to the best regular season team of all time). 

Spurs in 4.

3 Thunder vs 6 Mavericks
So I've heard a lot of people floating the Carlisle magic and the possible upset (and now they aren't talking about Zach Brehm track fans), but I'm not buying it. I don't think the Mavs are particularly good and the Thunder have two of the most athletic dudes to ever athletically walk around the freaking earth. I also am bias cuz I really like Russ (and KD) and I want them to win.

Last year I got burned picking the Mavs and Carlisle and Dirk to beat the Rockets, this year I'm not making that mistake. As Barkley says, it's not about the Xs and Os, it's about the Jims and Joes.

Thunder in 5

4 Clippers vs 5 Blazers
This is the only series in the West I can see being close and, realistically, I can't get a good feel. My logic says Clippers as they've been there before, won first round series the last two years, and they have one of the best players on the planet in Chris Paul. 

But the Blazers have won a playoff series before (upsetting the Rockets) and they have really impressed me this year by putting together a capable squad even after Aldridge and Matthews left (and so did Robin Lopez and Nick Batum! That's 80% of their starting lineup!). I believe in Dame Lillard and his ability to put the team on his back, but I'm nervous about this squad defending Blake and DeAndre.

 I think that's how this series will be won or last for LAC. If Blake is last year playoff Blake, that's bad news for the Blazers. But if he's still rusty and banged up .... This could be the Blazers game.

Clips are already a fragile mental squad. If they lose in the first round, they will be blowing this team up in some way and trading one of the big three. This is perhaps their last ride. So I feel like it would be poetic for this last ride to end with a game 7 loss at home. So Blazers in 7 it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment