All My Friends Are Runners: PRs Were Bigger in My Day

Chapter 6: PRs Were Bigger in My Day

I feel that most runners tend to be converts to the sport. Most kids don’t grow up watching track on TV or wearing OTC jerseys. They don’t call up their friends and go for a run. They do normal things like shoot around a basketball or have a catch. Maybe throw on a Peyton Manning jersey. I’m one of the biggest track fans you will ever meet and I still would rather see Steph Curry play basketball against Kevin Durant[1] on TV then watch the first two minutes and the last two minutes of a 5k[2].

But eventually, a true runner will find the imperfections in his or her sport and will embrace Track and Cross Country. The most popular story is the soccer player who is stuck sitting on the bench and wants to be in the action. They try out track, fall in love with the sport, the competitiveness and the brotherhood and boom: you’re converted[3]. Welcome to the family.

My first love was basketball and it’s still my favorite sport[4]. I played intermural basketball for Upper Dublin Township for most of my childhood, including my first year of high school. I also tried out for the high school’s freshmen team. After the first round of try-outs, I was cut. The only redeeming part of my try-out was that I was at the front of the pack for every suicide drill. Probably a sign right there that I belonged at track practice instead.

When I first joined the indoor track team, I was about a month behind everyone else, including my friends from Cross Country and my best friend Todd Warszawski, who played soccer in the fall but had run track with me in middle school. We ran long distance together as 7th graders and he handed off to me on the 4x100 relay as 8th graders[5].

My return was a mixture of painful workouts and absurd PR (i.e. “Personal Record”) stories. During my extremely brief basketball sabbatical, Todd told me about how he had recently PRed for the 800 meters in practice four times in a row during a repeats workout. So that was intimidating. Compounding things, in my first workout over winter break, I got demolished by everybody on the team and had a painful, lonely cool down, out of sight from the rest of the pack. It was one thing to get smoked every day in practice by the older guys; they had been kicking my butt all fall. But it was another entirely to get dropped by a group of other freshman that I had never before lost to in a race.    

I considered it especially embarrassing because I was trying to impress my new coach, Richard Ames. At Upper Dublin, we had a different coach for track and cross country: Paul Vandegrift coached our XC squad and Richard Ames coached the distance guys during track[6]. Looking back with the knowledge I have now, varying coaches by season seems like an absurd concept, but at the time, I didn’t give it a second thought. It took me a few years to realize that we were the odd ones, not everyone else.

However, the system worked beautifully for us and our team had a lot of success. This was due, at least in part, to the fact that the two coaches communicated effectively and had similar ideologies. The other part was simply that they were each fantastic coaches who knew how to get people fast.

I trained hard, despite my early deficiencies in stamina and Mr. Ames[7] saw fit to reward me by entering me into my first ever indoor meet, running the open 800 meters at Haverford College. Or at least I’m pretty sure he was trying to reward me. At the time, I couldn’t help but feel like it was a punishment.

When I first started indoor track, I dreaded the meets. I would give up my entire Saturday, usually missing my intermural basketball game, to wake up at the crack of dawn and go race at a stuffy indoor facility where I couldn’t breathe. My fellow freshman and I were also stuck wearing gym uniforms instead of singlets that season because we didn’t have enough of the latter for everyone[8]. Looking back now, those things seem silly in comparison to the big picture. It’s a shame I didn’t realize how spoiled I was to have a coach who would fight to get a couple 68 second 400m guys into a meet.

That first race, I stumbled into the Haverford field house with a bunch of pajama wearing teammates. Most brought pillows to the meet and would just pass out for half the day before preparing to run. My friends were off warming up for the freshman/sophomore DMR (the Distance Medley Relay) so I got dragged into the team picture: the only person wearing the Upper Dublin red gym uniform rather than the white racing singlet[9]. When the time came, I ran in a pair of training shoes and weaved my way to a 2:33. That was a PR by about 22 seconds. A 22 second PR! In the 800! Gosh, those were the days …




[1] Clearly, I wrote this a couple months too early
[2] Seriously, if our sport is going to get even remotely popular, we need to improve TV coverage. Get some interesting announcing and show the actual races! I prefer the British coverage of the World Championships to the USA’s even if it means I have to watch Mo Farah drink tea with one of the hosts. At least they know their stuff and make me feel invested. I’d honestly rather watch American Ninja Warrior than some of the track meets I’ve seen “broadcast” on TV.
[3] North Penn pulled two of the best runners in the state from the soccer team in Brad Miles and Sam Bernitt, each in successive years. Those two years they won back to back state championships. Most of the best track athletes probably haven’t been discovered because they are enjoying playing a game rather than suffering on the course. And if I had the option, I’m sure I’d make the same choice. But I suck at most ball sports.
[4] I like the way they dribble up and down the court. Also, my favorite play is the alley-oop
[5] Odd event transition right? Well that’s what happens when you have weight classes in sprint events
[6] In later years, when Mr. Giamarco came along, I actually had three different coaches, one for XC, one for indoors, one for outdoors. That year we were 5th at states in XC, won indoor states in the DMR and won Penn Relays. Consistency is overrated?
[7] For some reason nobody said Coach Ames, he was just “Mr. Ames” or “Ames”. We also never said Coach Vandegrfit, he was just Grift, or Coach Dinkins (“Dink”) or Coach Giamarco (“G”). I guess it wasn’t until college that I started calling people Coach.
[8] That was the worst part about the whole thing. They were heavy and the shorts were long. It was worth probably about 3-4 seconds by itself. And that’s not over exaggeration. My PR that season came when a couple older guys got stuck running with me and Todd on a 4x8 and we had to borrow a couple huge football players’ legit track uniforms so we wouldn’t be disqualified for not matching. Even though we were swimming in the things, I broke 2:30 for the first time and ran a pretty nice PR for myself. I don’t think it was a coincidence. Stealing your team’s uniforms is not a victimless crime …
[9] It’s a fantastic yearbook picture. I stick out like a sore thumb in the bottom right corner, trying to look tough among the older kids. And half our squad might actually be asleep. It’s the last time they took a team picture at an actual indoor track meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment