It’s 6:45. The alarm goes off. It takes a second to realize where I am. I’m not used to waking up in this bed. My dad’s up too. Up for good? Or waiting to steal my bed back when I leave? Either way it’s nice to have someone see me off.

There’s a split second I’m worried the car won’t start. It doesn’t get a lot of use. The windows are opaque and dirty. A few wipes from my sweatshirt helps enough to get things off the ground. Then it’s open road.

I’ve saved a podcast for my drive. Bill Simmons. I’m only about 65% engaged. The other 35% is inside my own head. That’s typically where you find me. It strikes me that my most important Hershey appearances have been as a blogger, not a runner. I was never a state qualifier. I just talk about them.

I pull up to a toll booth. No EZ pass in my grandma’s old whip. I give the guy my slip. He doesn’t say how much I owe, so I just give him a $20. I start to judge him. Seems unfriendly. Hates his job. But he sees my Oregon sweatshirt and strikes up a conversation. Asks about their football jerseys. We have a good talk. Now I’ve got a different opinion. Lonely job. Nicer than a lot of other toll boothers. He reminds me that you have to be careful if you judge without the full story. And now I’m back on my blogging …

9 bucks for parking. I suppose that’s not too bad. I just paid over 100 for Sixers tickets. I get out and walk around. Headphones in. No more podcasts. Now it’s just music. I walk in obscurity. The sweatshirt conceals my etrain swagger and my secret identity. I do my Bane impression inside my head. Nobody cared who I was until I put on the shirt …

It feels awkward being here. I feel old. I walk around the course, checking the conditions. I walk around the tents, looking for a few coaches I would like to finally meet in person. Bear Claws is playing on my iPhone. I like that song.

By the first boys race, I’ve put together a plan for spectating. I take pride in my efforts to see lots of different points of any race I watch. Naturally, I skip the start. It’s overrated. I’ve got the first long bend, the first significant uphill. The first significant downhill. Two miles. Finish.

I try not to run too much. I’ve gotten more self-conscious about my odd running form as I’ve aged. Although I think that’s because I’ve gotten slower. Not because I’ve gotten older. Running or walking, I still get there in time for what I want to see. You can tell Forsythe has it at mile two. Penns Valley looks like they are slipping for a moment. But at the finish it’s clear that was an aberration. Race one holds form.

By now, Garrett is here. I speak for the first time since the toll booth. I’m welcomed into the Great Valley tent. Things are starting to feel right again. My confidence is up a bit. Zat is a good hype man. I notice his new Stride Report shirt. It’s pretty dope. He’s modest about his growing site, but he’s excited. I remember those days. I’m happy for him. He’s worked hard for this.

The talk runs over into my AA prep time. I’m a little late to my spots, but I quickly get the gist. Dan Beck fills me in. It’s the Isaac Davis show. Team race should be interesting. I go everywhere, but the score is never obvious. I’m watching Dallas and Harbor Creek. I can’t count more than that. It feels like a lot of Wyomissing guys are going by, but it’s hard to say. Some bib numbers are covering the jerseys. I can’t quite see the W. Oh well, I’ve been wrong before.

One race to go. I’ll have company for this one. The first checkpoint is more crowded than any race before. A ton of LaSalle alumni are here. Even some from my generation. They weren’t here last year. They know what’s at stake. Meanwhile, I’ve forgotten Upper Dublin even has a runner in the race.

It looks like LaSalle is out well. All 7 guys. They’ve got an army. CR North is in the mix. I forget to even pick out DT West from the crowd. I’m seeing some faces for the first time. Piecing jerseys together with past performances on a piece of paper. But man is this race about more than a piece of paper.

North looks good at the finish. LaSalle may not have that second front runner. But I’m only about 35% engaged. I’ve actually got someone to cheer for in AAA. That excitement distracts me. It’s not until I’ve restocked my supply of etrain shirts that I even remember there was a state title up for grabs.

Another tie. My mind jumps right to 2011. Almost an identical score. History repeats itself. But this time LaSalle avenges the O’Hara loss. It’s poetry. Although I learned I have to be careful with that word. It can be used against me.

I assume that will be it. The races are over. The Zatlins are gone. I’m alone again. I trek over to the awards. Just a few things left to say before I’m gone. Little did I know what I had waiting for me.

Lots of kind words. Lots of handshaking. Lots of pictures. At one point, there’s three teams worth of a crowd around me like I’m standing on a stage. I wish I had something better to say. Maybe I’m just meant to speak through words on an internet page. I’d like to connect more. Show everybody what their support means. When someone is says how they are excited to read their name on my site, I share their sentiment. I’m excited they read (their name on) my site.

I feel like I always remember the answers on the drive home. Yes, we did/do have a writer who goes to Penn. I forgot. That’s my bad. With my free time, I’ll probably try and really dig in on my book. I don’t think “I thought you’d be taller” is really a question. Yes, I’m real, I’m just glad all of you are real too. I guess not all the views are from people looking for a map of the E subway train.

Of course, that makes it sound like it was all a disaster. But it was an amazing experience. The only reason I’ve lasted this long is because of the readers and it was nice to have a reminder of who exactly those people are. Because, in case you forgot, this sport is about more than performances on a piece of paper.

A lot of people asked me if this was it. Would this really be the last year? I think I answered them all the same way. If I didn’t, I meant to. I’m pretty sure this is it. This will be my last year of cross country coverage.



But like I said-I’ve been wrong before.





Thank you everyone so much for your support and congrats to all on your accomplishments this season. Recaps coming later this week, a brief break for other stuff, regionals coverage and then we have track left together before I hang it up. Looking forward to the rest of the year.

15 comments:

  1. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. You are/have been the catalyst for the excitement and buzz around this sport. Still writing or not, your name will always be remembered for years to come. We love you Jarrett, and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. $9 bucks for parking? Why don't you just charge a $9 annual subscription fee to make your work financially rewarding and keep it going? $9 of Etrain access is much more valuable than parking at Hershey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please don't retire.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for everything. Enjoyed reading the blog.

    BTW, anybody watch the AAA highlights on pamilesplit?? Beveridge actually stops and walks a few feet near the top of poop out hill. Surprised he had the kick left in him to finish 2nd.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is an absolutely beautifully written piece Jarrett. your style is getting better and it flows with clarity. it's an honor to read

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like reading Hemingway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^ Hahaha. I'm doing my next book report on this, it'll be an easy A.

      Delete
  7. It was cool to see you holding court after the awards. I know our runners and parents have always enjoyed your positive take on the sport and its participants. Your opinions, views and analysis have been much appreciated by your readers. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could not have said it any better than the other commenters. I saw my wife crying yesterday and asked her why. She said that she just read E-Train's latest write-up & it made her emotional. You are great for the sport Jarrett.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will keep my fingers crossed that you change your mind. I wish I would have seen you at the awards and could have told you in person. I was in a daze after the tie breaker announcement ( I won't tell you for which team I was behind )and did not even see you holding court. Please do not hang it up. This blog is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jarrett,
    Thanks for the time and effort you have put into this project. While it may be impossible to measure the impact you've had on the PA running scene, as a coach I can attest to the positive influence you've had on our team. We are a program that's had some success but we are still developing. Being noticed by you is both a complement and confidence builder for our guys. Correct or not, they take it as an indication that they are on their way to being a team that compete with anyone in the state. The greatest gift you've given our running community is your commitment to keeping things positive. Thus you've helped in building up teams and individuals with your hope for their health and success rather than focusing on their failures. You will be missed. Best wishes in your new endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How about simultaneous PA Etrain 5K races in Phila, Harrisburg and Pittsburgh to raise funds to defray costs and hire a few aspiring writers to take the burden off of you? This blog is awesome, way better than anything Penntrack will ever do. That's not a shot at them, they do something different but this blog is grass roots XC. Love it. - JEB

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've just missed meeting Etrain over the years at a few district 1 XC and track meets, and at a Paul Short here, a Henderson Invite there. I wish I could have made it to states this year, though it sounds like if you weren't a turnpike toll taker he might have been pretty hard to get to at that meet!

    I've been a huge fan for years. This blog embodies everything that is so right about XC and track. Plus I love having a place to throw out comments and predictions with the rest of the running freaks. But even the occasional comment takes a little bit of time to proof read and make sure you're not going to be misinterpreted or unintentionally offending someone, so Etrain's work must be very time consuming.

    I hope there's a way to get the Etrain blog to continue in some capacity next year but if not, well it's been a great ride!!!

    - RJJL

    ReplyDelete
  13. This blog is the place to be for PA running.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it's amazing how much you've grown this blog from it's humble beginnings as discussions on random distance runs at UD. Good luck on your book and congrats!

    P.S. Just want to leave this here as a reminder that you tried to quit before... http://etrain11.blogspot.com/2013/05/brett-favre.html

    ReplyDelete