It's Coming ....

By etrain11

In theory, all tracks are the same. Flat 400m ovals with an ideal racing service, preferably in an area shielded from wind and elements (although not sure I've been to a track that wasn't seemingly windy in all directions). All of this in the hopes that if I run 1:58.94 in Allentown, it's equivalent to someone else running 1:58.94 in Monaco. Other factors can blur the line slightly (weather, competition, etc), but ultimately it's an apples to apples conversation.

But Cross Country is different. Cross Country courses are not all flat ovals with ideal footing (ok ... The majority are not anyway). Each course is different and, because we are talking grass, dirt and sand factors like "weather" and the "weather two days ago" become a lot more relevant to the equation. There are some many variables to the sport that trying to pin things down to one number is silly. And yes that goes for Speed Ratings too.

But that's why I love cross country. It's no so black and white, it's no easily defined and it is much more easily debated. Plus, most importantly of all, because XC times core value are in a relative sense, everything is focused on who you beat rather than how fast you run. 

Sure, times matter. I keep track of all my PRs and performances in XC with the same ferocity as I do during the winter and spring (shocker). I like comparing 5k and 8k PRs, I like comparing my times to previous year's performances and I set time related goals for myself. But that's because quantifying everything in minutes and seconds is easier to understand than building a holographic simulation of yourself circa your best performance and racing them to see if you have improved. Unless you know something I don't know.

So yes, I will certainly use times throughout the season, but the times will often be considered in a relative sense to others historically on a certain course and my focus and emphasis will always be on who beat who when and where.

You may be wondering, "OK cool stuff etrain, thanks for a lecture on XC. Do you have a point or are you going to ride around on your high horse all post?" Well you are in luck, I do have a point! Today is the 1st of July and in 11 days, at 11:11 PM here on the blog, etrain11 will begin to release the famous "Top 50 XC Rankings" that made this blog popular in the first place.

I've taken this time to a) hopefully excite you by remembering how awesome XC is (probably failed) and b) give you a little reminder on the insight that goes into my rankings. As suggested by one of my readers, I will be releasing them in sets of 10 every day or so in reverse order starting at 50.

I started the process today and think I have narrowed my list of names from roughly 100 down to 58 guys that I will consider for the 50 spots. It is important to remember that this process, at its core, is a subjective one that ultimately is my own opinion more than straight fact. This is a dangerous road to travel down with high schoolers and one that Penntrack has always adamantly refused to traverse, understandably so. 

However, I have always felt that we as a community are mature enough to handle this list and understand it is just harmless fun. You may be unhappy with your ranking or disagree with my opinions (and you actually are encouraged to do so), but I'm happy to report that most people who have disagreed and have simply used it as extra motivation to prove me wrong and then, subsequently, done exactly that. 

I'm not here to give you 5k times in order. Especially when those 5k times are run at courses of different difficulty and, ironically enough, length. That doesn't mean much in my opinion and, quite frankly, insults and undermines the accomplishments of some of our sports best athletes. I'm here to give you the best possible coverage of Cross Country and I truly believe the Top 50 list is the best way to do so. 

So now let's get to the other reason, I've made this post. I need your help. We have 11 days to finalize this list and I'd like to get the XC conversation going. Share your thoughts on who should be on the list. Who are the youngsters on the rise? Who are the sleepers? The Stars ready to break out? My readers are the greatest resource I have and I'm trusting you to help me out.

Here's the basic rule for how I rank people on the list. I ask myself the following question: "If I was drafting a team of runners to race for me at the State Championships and I could have anyone I wanted, who would I pick right now?" Keep in mind this is different than the in season ranking criteria (which I'll discuss more in season).

So comment away and stay classy! See you guys on July 12th.

PS If anyone feels uncomfortable with this list or anything else they see on the site at any time, feel free to get in touch with me about your concerns. We may just be a blog, but we strive to do our best to keep this site professional yet fun and inviting. It's sometimes a difficult balance to strike, but we will make every effort to meet the high standards the running community and we ourselves put on this blog.

My email is jarrettfelix1130@gmail.com and if you would like to discuss anything further, I can give you a phone number if you get in touch with me. I'm always happy to discuss anything related to this great sport.

July 12th, 11:11

#the50

8 comments:

  1. Looking forward to it. Team rankings possibly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, not sure when, but they will happen ... Pre Season rankings are a little tricky because many teams depth is not on full display yet, but I can definitely think of one or two front runners ....

      Delete
  2. The big questions: Will Brophy repeat? Will Dahl's and Kolor's track successes translate to XC? Will Josh beat Smucker (or Jaxson)? Can anyone stop DTW? Will O'Hara and NA still be good? Can Nathan Henderson be the first D3 guy to crack the top 5 since 2009, potentially setting himself up to break the curse in 2016? Will anyone challenge Hockenbury or Mackey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are excellent questions. I'm very interested to see what happens in D3 because I believe there will be some course changes this year for districts/states? But I don't actually know if anything is official

      Delete
    2. D3 course is officially moved to Big Springs (Mid Penn Conformance Course) Keep your eye on District 3 this year because they have more than just Henderson. Seiger from Red Land is definitely more of a cross country guy as apposed Track don't discount him just cuz he had a really crappy track season. Other guys coming too that will be fresh for States, something D3 hasn't had since their meet moved to Parkview, would be Shea & Cassel now Juniors from LD, Delany, and even Wisner too if he can make the transition to XC. Just keep in mind D3 has way more to offer than just Henderson, Seiger beat him many times last Cross season. District 3 kids should be taken very seriously this year.

      Delete
  3. I've got to think Perretta might be near the top of A or AA (wherever B F goes) even though hes more of 800/1600 guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally have used this list for nothing more than motivation. Things never play out the way we expect but I appreciate the effort that goes into making this top 50 list. Its always interesting to see.The list has gotten me excited every year, even the years I wasn't on it. Thanks for taking the time to make it.

    ReplyDelete