Etrain’s Favorite Cross Country Posts

by Jarrett Felix

XC is nearly in the books with only two races left before the end. I’m not positive I’ll be doing a nationals recap at this point, so my XC posts on this blog are wrapping up! I thought it might be fun to look back over the posts I made and link up some of my favorites. Most of the posts are recaps which are helpful and can be fun in their own way, but the posts I personally like writing are the more random or creative ones so that is what I tried to link up below. Feel free to share some of your favorites as well!

Here’s my list in chronological order …

10/25/2014 Introducing the 1st etrain All-Stars!

Sometimes state qualifying is tricky business and top names get left out. I made this post in 2014 to honor some of those names and remind our runners that the state meet isn’t everything. There’s plenty to be proud of outside of one defining race and that’s a lesson I think we can all take with us regardless of what we view as our “defining race”.

10/20/2015 Run It Back: An Interview with Matt Beyerle
12/6/2015 The King of Leans: Catching Up with O’Hara/Syracuse Stand Out Kevin James
12/26/2015 Happy Holidays: An Interview with CB East’s Two-Time State Champ Jake Brophy

I got lucky in 2015 as I got to interview three insightful PA alumni. I think these posts turned out pretty cool and each have their questions that I found particularly memorable. Not specifically XC, but certainly has some XC focus.

1/1/2016 XC All Decade Team: 10-1

This was a list that went out to 101 names after the 2015 XC season was in the books. The post above has links to the prior ranking posts before 10-1, but 10-1 is probably what most people care about. It would be interesting to see how this list would change based on the extra two years of runners we’ve had come through Pennsylvania. There’s a long list of runners over that two year span that could join this group if it was reconsidered. Would be interested to hear your thoughts on that …

8/26/2016 Team Titles Revisited: 2009

I revisited a variety of state meets, including the 2011 meet that got a lot of talk this year. Personally, I picked the 2009 edition for my favorite as this race was my senior season of high school. I never raced that meet (and I didn’t have any teammates in the 2009 race), but I’ll always remember this season.

10/13/2016 In The Class “A Team”

Rankings will always be an important part of the blog. But sometimes you have to mix the rankings up and add some fun wrinkles to the equation. This post combined Drake lyrics with team rankings. So yeah, this one was always going to make the list.

10/18/2016 Super ‘Nova: An Interview with Conestoga Grad Andrew Marston

Another interview makes the list! Although 2015 was probably the biggest interview year, I was fortunate enough to talk to Andrew Marston in the 2016 season. This was another great interview and kind of makes me miss doing them. Maybe I can find a few other guys to talk to before all is said and done …

11/3/2016 AAA Top 10 Team Predictions

The state prediction posts will always be the most important posts I make all season. The individual stuff is cool, but the team stuff is what really drives me. The 2016 edition of the team rankings may have been my best pick in terms of content. Not necessarily in terms of accuracy, but, I mean, if we judge based on accuracy there won’t be much to brag about …

12/1/2016 The Etrain 11: Cross Country Edition

The Etrain 11 style posts have been pretty solid feature style articles here on the blog. I’m pretty happy with how most of them turn out and think they are part of what made the blog as successful as it was. The story behind the numbers is always worth telling.

8/5/2017 Bulletin Board Material

This was another untraditional post. The actually body of the post says almost nothing, but the comments (the most important of the blog) drive the story. It’s fun to look back at these predictions I made for all the various teams and see how things turned out. It also shows you how many different teams are represented or at least cared about by our readers.

7/6/2017 The Etrain 11 Series XC Finale – Radio Broadcast

A fun, fictional all-time race complete with runhigh style results and face British accents. I put a good amount of work into this, so it had to make the list.

11/1/2017 2017 PIAA XC State Previews: AAA Team Preview

Personally, this may be my favorite preview post I’ve ever written. I guess I saved my best for last.

11/4/2017

An artsy post to close it out. I don’t usually make posts like this, so I think that made it the most fun to write out of arguably anything I wrote this year. Heck, out of arguably anything I wrote ever.


1 comment:

  1. Your post about xc states this year still gives me goosebumps.

    ReplyDelete