Etrain's Favorite Posts of 2017

12/29/2016 Before the Record: Henderson and O’Hara

Ok, so yes I’m immediately cheating on this list. However, this post didn’t come out until after my “Favorite Posts of 2016” list, so I feel like it’s OK to throw it up here. It ended up being a nice bit of foreshadowing for perhaps the moment in the year in Pennsylvania Distance Running.

1/4/2017 The Space Jam Spin Off

If Space Jam has a 38% on Rotten Tomatoes, I’d hate to see what Space Race would get on there. Also, who the heck is giving Space Jam below a 95% rating? Get out of here.

1/19/2017 A Harry Potter Running Post: Because That’s Something I Would Probably Do

Apparently, the creative juices were flowing in January because I had some really random posts going.

1/25/2017 Other Things That Need To Be “The Processed”

Exhibit “C” in the random posts of January case. Perhaps my strongest analysis of the 2017 season.

2/1/2017 #SaveHaven

This post will always hold a special spot in my memory of the blog. If I ever get it together to finish my fiction book, this post will have a big impact on the first chapter.

2/8/2018 Making of a Muder .. ous DMR

More DMR talk during the indoor season about that aforementioned biggest story of the indoor season. Plus a great title for a post. Half of the reason why these posts are my favorite posts are the titles.

3/14/2017 March Madness Comparisons

Unsurprisingly, people love player comparisons. That’s why my Backyard Football to Felix Bowl Football player comparisons got so many likes on Facebook (Yes, I am aware none of you reading this get this joke, sometimes I make jokes for my own amusement). It’s also why this post got a nice bid of buzz as I compared PA High School programs to their NCAA counterparts. O’Hara = Duke has to be my greatest realization in blog history.

5/22/2017 2017 State Posts

The state meet predictions always bring out the views and, much like people who like a long, sensitive Drake song, I tend to check out views from time to time. Plus, these ones are fun to write, fun to read the comments on and the culmination of months of work with recaps, rankings, etc. There’s a lot to like. Also, just a reminder, Isaac Kole in the 1600 – I had that. Also, just a reminder, State College second in the 4x8? I had them 5th. Look, I’m not perfect. I just pretend to be one on TV.

5/23/2017 All My Friends Are Runners: The Birth of Etrain

For those of you who like origin stories, this is a small chapter in mine. I put out a variety of autobiographical type posts over the last few years talking about some PA HS history as well as some of my own history. Hard to believe how old I am these days.

5/30/2017 2017 State Recaps: They’re Here!

If there’s a state meet, you have to recap it. I’m looking to offload my recap duties in the not so distant future, so maybe these will be the last track state recaps that I do … Although we haven’t even gotten a nibble on another writer on the staff so maybe I’ll be doing this for the next decade …

6/10/2017 The Etrain 11: Carlisle Transformed

The feature style posts from The Etrain 11 series are some of my favorites to write and usually make for some compelling reads. I did a bunch of them during the spring, but this one is probably my favorite. Carlisle was such an interesting team this past year and really provided us with a lot to appreciate.

6/15/2017 The Commit

Before my man Garrett Zatlin passed on to bigger and better things at The Stride Report, the man left us with one final Zatlin original style post. The Commit, a series of posts talking with high seniors about their college choices, to this day is still the most successful series of posts in the history of this blog. Shout out to Garrett and shout out to The Stride Report.

7/6/2017 The Etrain 11 Series XC Finale – Radio Broadcast

Mentioned this in my favorite XC posts but had to mention it again. Put a bunch of work into it so feel obligated to put it into as many post’s as possible …

7/11/2017 The Running Diaries: Chapter Thirty Six

I’m in the process of trying to rework this a bit to make reading it a bit more logical, straightforward and just overall better, but this is the last chapter I posted up on the site. Not sure how many people actually read it, but it’s always worth a throw in on these sort of lists.

7/13/2017 District One XC Returners Cheat Sheet

Arguably the best series of posts I made all summer. A good amount of research and got a lot of discussion going. Pretty funny seeing which names emerged from these lists to become stars.

9/28/2017 Carlisle & Paul Short: Bold Predictions

At the end of the day, it’s all about recaps, predictions and rankings in the Etrain blogosphere. This has some of most etrai-ish predictions I’ve ever made housed inside.

10/12/2017 Half Way State Qualifying Predictions: Part II

Continuing along the same line of thinking, this post combines those predictions in a ranking-ish style format. Plus, in classic etrain fashion, the predictions were almost immediately proven to be inaccurate.

11/1/2017 2017 PIAA XC State Previews: AAA Team Preview

Like I said in the XC posts post, this might have been my favorite preview I’ve taken the time to write. Had to be included here.

11/4/2017

This has been talked about enough. I’ll just leave the link and leave it at that.

12/4 The Etrain 11: The Roman Empire

The feature posts have been fun for sure. They are a little better when I rope in some of the people involved for interviews and things, but I like how this one turned out even if it was a lot of me writing. In total, I’ve now done 40 posts in The Etrain 11 series, recapping some of the season defining stories from the past few years. Maybe after this track season is done I’ve finished The Etrain 11 collection, I’ll share my favorites from that list. If you get antsy, Check Out Sub 9 Revisited from July 9, 2015, Dream 800m from June 15, 2015, Everybody Loves a Sappey Ending from July 13, 2016 and It’s Never O’Ver from July 4, 2016. Those are near the top of list.

Spring Ford had a “The 11” post from 2016 as well, foreshadowing their rise to a top 5 team in the state for XC. LaSalle’s Army got one and we even had a video version for the WPIAL Vs. which is one of the more unique things we’ve done on the site.


So yeah, I basically just did that favorite The Etrain 11 posts within this post. Two for the price of one ladies and gents. Can’t get a much better deal than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment