Why New York Would Beat Pennsylvania in an All Star Dual Meet

by Alex Fox

It is without question that both Pennsylvania and New York are two of the strongest states in the country when it comes to talented male high school distance runners. But which state is better? This is a question I’ve pondered, and given New York is my home state; I believe that the talent and depth in the Empire State is superior. I have never been able to prove this belief…until now! In the lull between indoor and outdoor, Jarrett and I collaborated in developing the idea for a hypothetical “granddaddy of them all” distance dual meet between the best of the best from New York and PA (Jarrett will write the piece but from the perspective of a PA supporter). Here are the rules: the distances are 400m, 800m, 1600m, 3200m, 4x400m relay, and 4x800m relay (Jarrett and I opted for these instead of the SMR/DMR). Each state would send five athletes for each event and three teams per relay. Each athlete can only run one open event and one relay (for instance, James Asselmeyer will only be put in the 800 and 4x8 for me), but should an athlete double, we’ll assume they are magically fresh, for the sake of fast times. The top three places for each event score 5, 3, and 1 point respectively, and whichever state scores more points, wins. This would be the best of the best; all distance events, all studs. No waiting around during the 13 heats of the 200. No hairy shot putters finishing all the hot dogs before you’re finished running. Pure, electric, distance running. Without further ado, here are my analyses for each event.

400m

New York would clean up on this event. If all healthy, Izaiah Brown, Rai Benjamin, and Richard Rose are three of the best five or six 400 runners in the country; each have the talent to run sub 47 in an open 400, and no one from Pennsylvania is beating that. Without much debate, they’d finish 1-2-3, the only question would be what order. Moreover, regardless of who Pennsylvania (unless Jarrett wastes John Lewis here instead of the 800, which I don’t aniticipate) would send, I’d argue the five guys I’m sending would finish 1-5, with Infinite Tuck and Luke Germanakos finishing fourth and fifth; Tucker won the EE 400 at Indoor Nats in 48.4. and Germanakos is a two time state champ at 600m. New York takes all the points in this event.
Top 3:
1) Benjamin-45.94
2) Brown-46.36
3) Rose-46.52  

800m

This would be an absolutely awesome race if this meet was real. From PA, I see Jarrett sending a dynamic duo of Lewis and Elias Graca, both of whom ran 1:50.xx at PA’s state meet. From NY, the big dog would be James Asselmeyer, who ran the second fastest 1000m during indoor at 2:25.86. These are my top 3 finishers, but to the chagrin of all you PA fans, Asselmeyer would win. I was left unimpressed by Lewis at Indoor Nats following all the hype Cheltenham built up about their SMR squad, and I don’t think Graca quite matches up with Asselmeyer’s talent; 2:25 is so fast, and Asselmeyer managed to split a 1:49 at Nats without anyone taking notice. During outdoor, I think all of these guys will be breaking 1:50. Behind these guys, another sick race would be playing out; Shamarr Powell and Jake Johnson both came out of nowhere to run 1:52, and Alek Sauer would certainly be mixing it up with them. Man, this would an awesome meet if it actually went down.
Top 3:
1) Asselmeyer-1:49.62
2) Lewis-1:49.93
3) Graca-1:50.20

1600m

Another race featuring big names and fast times. From PA, Sam Ritz is the man, with Kevin James not too far behind him, and representing New York, I would send James Burke, , Jeremy Spiezio, and others who wouldn’t be in contention (I’ve given up on Gavigan and I’m saving Lundy for the 3200). Of course many of you want Ritz to win this race given he’s your prodigal son, but I’ve got bad news for you again: Burke wins this race. This prediction isn’t even that biased though.  The two times Burke and Ritz squared off head to head (NB Nats and Millrose), Burke beat Ritz (given he just edged him out at Nats, but it counts). After them, I think a NY guy steals the last point. I really like Kevin James, and I’m pumped that he’ll be running at Syracuse, but I just feel Spiezio is faster than him; 4:09 and 9:07 back this up pretty darn well.   
Top 3:
1) Burke-4:06.71
2) Ritz-4:06.87
3) Spiezio-4:07.48

3200m

Much like the 400, this is race where my boys would clean up. Leading the charge are two runners who have gotten a lot of attention across the country in Aidan Tooker and Mikey Brannigan. Tooker is now famous for his screaming-dive at the line to win a state title, but the junior ran 8:56 for a full two miles inside!!!! The kid is a stud, and I couldn’t see anyone from PA sticking with him or Brannigan. I know Brannigan didn’t have a killer indoor season, but 8:53 is 8:53. Taking third in the race could be a number of NY guys in Conor Lundy, Bryce Millar, or John Rice, each of whom will be running close to or breaking 9:00 come outdoor. I held Lundy out of the 1600, so I’ll give him the nod.
Top 3:
1) Tooker-8:54.91
2) Brannigan-8:56.02
3) Lundy-8:58.33

So, heading into relays, the score is New York leading with 29 and Pennsylvania trying admirably with 7. With only 18 total points left up for grabs, New York would clinch the meet at this point, but doesn’t mean we won’t analyze the relays, which would surely be exciting.

4x400m Relay

This would be a race for the ages, as the top two finishers at this distance from Indoor Nats meet again in Cheltenham and Clara Barton. Okay, maybe it wouldn’t be that close. I cannot deny that Cheltenham is the superior team, and would win this race handily. I’d also have Huntington behind them, in front of Clara Barton. Way to go PA! You’re first win!
Top 3:
1) Cheltenham-3:15.77
2) Huntington-3:17.23
3) Clara Barton-3:18.79

4x800m Relay

What a way for the day to finish up, with the boys from Pennsbury squaring off with loaded squads in Fordham, Syosset, and Arlington. Pennsbury won PA’s state title in a blistering 7:51, but for some reason didn’t run the 4x8 at Nats, where the three NY teams I’ve selected all ran 7:46 or faster. I know they haven’t produced for me thus far, but I love Asselmeyer on that anchor for Arlington; they take the win, edging out Conor Lundy and Fordham. Pennsbury snatches third; if they were in that race at Nats, they would’ve run sub 7:50 with the rest of the field.
Top 3:
1) Arlington-7:44.29
2) Fordham Prep-7:46.10
3) Pennsbury- 7:47.56

Final Score
New York- 41
Pennsylvania-13
Athlete of the Meet- Asselmeyer

Coach of the Meet- Alex Fox  

4 comments:

  1. First off, Im pretty sure at dual meets the relays would be all or nothing, with 5 points going to the winning team and nothing after that. Secondly, thats a pretty big stretch to say Asselmeyer would beat Lewis. Unbiased me says he gets second and PA track fan me says he gets third haha. I also think Penn Wood could score some points in that 4x4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This whole concept is a hypothetical, and for the sake of the piece, Jarrett and I agreed that it would be more entertaining to speculate the top three relay teams as opposed to just one. We really just wanted to show off the talent and depth in each of our respective home states, and predict the top three instead of just winner for the relays allowed us to do this.http://therealtrain.blogspot.com/logout?d=http://www.blogger.com/logout-redirect.g?blogID%3D2340530826223694326%26postID%3D4316064327721442223

      Delete
  2. No way in the world Asselmeyer gets 1st. I'll give him 3rd on a good day against PA competition

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can admit that my NY bias did play a part in me picking Asselmeyer FTW, but his talent is undeniable. Banked track or not, Asselmeyer's 2:25 is legit, and that PR is faster than what Za'von Watkins (technically) ran in HS, and he had a PR of 1:48.xx prior to running college. Honestly, if my life depended on it, I'd probably give Lewis the nod, but given the race would be competitive and for sake of the post (an argumentative piece in favor of NY), I gave Asselmeyer the nod.

    ReplyDelete