PA Track Classic Preview

By Sean Collins

 

I don’t pretend to be as much of an expert as some of the other writers, but I wanted to give a preview of the Classic at P-W this week. If I forgot you, I apologize and hope that you prove me wrong by winning this weekend.

 

Girls Sprints/Hurdles:

The Girls 100 appears to be lacking a single indoor state qualifier in the 60m and will likely not be a strong event, especially with the cold expected this weekend. In terms of guessing a winner,  look to someone wearing a Norristown,Methacton, or Neshaminy jersey to cross the line first, as total 14 of the 32 competitors. I know this is weak reporting here, but this is not the event to highlight this weekend.

 

The 200m, however is stacked much more heavily with Taylor Chapman of Pennridge and Jayana Webb of Norristown, both state medalists from indoor. Chapman is debatably the best sprinter in the state right now and should standout but Webb will provide stiff competition in her first HS outdoor race. Another name to watch is Chapman’s teammate Ariana Przybylowski.Przybylowski is known most for being a stellar long jumper, but is a very good sprinter, and should held Pennridge this season redeem themselves after the DQ fiasco at states in the 4x100m. (Note*: The officials wrongly disqualified them after the exchange happened within the zone). Look to Chapman to come out on top.

 

400: If you thought the 200m had a big star, think again. The 400 stars with Springside Chestnut Hill’s Brooklyn Broadwater after her amazing runs this indoor season. I expect her to run away with the event. If Broadwater falters, expect UcheNwogwugwu of North Penn to take the gold, as she finished 4that this year’s indoor states.

 

100H: This race should be a dogfight between NicoletteSerratore of Methacton and Alyssa Zukowski of Neshaminy. Both of these runners advance to PSU in the 60h this winter and should contest a strong hurdle race in the cold weather. Serratorehas been on the national stage before in the heptathlon and that experience may provide a slight edge with the nerves of the first race of the outdoor season.

 

300H: With there being no long hurdle event indoors, I expected not to recognize too many names in this event. This combined with the lack of practice time over the intermediates should provide tough conditions for a fast time. BUT WAIT! Coming right off the 400m, Brooklyn Broadwater will also be contesting the 300h. I have no prediction for a time, but if she doesn’t win I would be greatly surprised. Would say anything 46 or above is probably a disappointment for her, even after coming off the 400.

 

Boys Sprints:

100m:  only needed to see one name to know who is going to win this race. Christian Brissett. While the Cheltenham girls are not running, the boys are and I expect Brissett to put the hammer down and set the bar high for people to get this season. Sub 11. I’m calling it.

 

200m: The men’s 200 is the men’s equivalent to the women’s 100m. There does not appear to be any big names here, allowing someone to really prove themselves on the big stage. That’s all I have to say here… Sorry guys. Provide a result to talk about!

 

400m: This race features 3 Penn Wood runners and after their 3rdplace at NBIN in the 4x4, I have to imagine that one of these guys is going to run 50.?? . Another interesting addition to the race is Billy McDevitt of Malvern Prep. He has focused on longer distances all of indoor and I expect him to only be getting some speed work in early in the season. I’d be surprised to see anything faster than 50.9 from him, and in the next couple of weeks, we should see him back in the distance races again. Sean Conway of Neshaminy is an outsider for the win as well.

 

110H: Kornelias Klah of Pennsbury and Malik Jefferson of Swenson Arts and Technology are the two main favorites for the title in my opinion. Swenson knows how to put out amazing hurdlers on the female side and I don’t know why that can’t transition to the men. Klah did not have the best season indoors, but he is still a fantastic hurdler. He is my pick to win the title.

 

300H: Of all the events, I am most excited about this one. It is absolutely STACKED. John Lewis, Cordell Richardson (both of Cheltenham), Andrew Dillon (Norristown), Malik Jefferson (Swenson), and Kornelias Klah (Pennsbury). If I am correct, all of these athletes have won a state medal at some point and this race is absolutely stacked. I just can’t get over how fast this race is going to be. I would be dumbfounded if a 38 second race isn’t run if the wind is low. My pick is Lewis for the win, but I wouldn’t be surprised if any of these guys took the win.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to see new aspects of the blog, glad to see I'm not the only sprinter here. I like Lewis in the hurdles, and Brissett in the 100. IT's hard to not wanna pick guys from Cheltenham

    ReplyDelete