3000m

Alex Fox


1) Eric Jenkins
2) Edward Cheserek
3) Kemoy Campell
4) Erik Olson
5) Jeremy Elkaim
DNF bc someone who looks a lot like me hits him with a tomato) Parker Stinson

For me, Ches and Jenkins are sort of interchangeable, but we’ll give it to Jenkins because he seems like a good dude. With 300 to go, I expect these two to run away from the field and cross the finish line together, “Os” in the air. After winning both the 3k and 5k at the SEC Championship, I look to Campell to continue his momentum in this race, but not so much to the point he beats the two goliaths from Oregon. I have Elkaim in there for the reason I have Gregorek fourth the 1600: Oregon’s crazy depth. Many may shake their head with the Olson pick, but he’s had a real solid season, and I love giving shouts to my boys from Stanford. Look for Stanley Kebenei to blow up here.

etrain:

The final distance event of the day and my final round of predictions. Here's the thing I'll say right now: if Ches pulls off this triple I'll be thrilled, but I'll be incredibly impressed. This triple seems really difficult. Lawi did the mile-3k double successfully a few years back (2 I believe) so it's 100% doable, but he didn't have a DMR anchor leg thrown in there just for fun. The thing Ches has going for him is the fact that A) unlike Lawi he doesn't relay on gunning the pace to win, he is comfortable and effective sitting and kicking and B) he will be joined by 4 other teammates in this 3k. FIVE GUYS. That's absurd, even for the mighty Ducks.

There will be very few fresh legs in the house, considering four of the ducks are doubling, three others are coming back from the 5k, another off the mile and potentially as many as three others doubling from the DMR. It makes it very tricky for me to pick dudes to produce because you know my feelings about doubling.

In 2010 one of the coolest moments I've seen was the epic Oregon sweep at Hayward field where the Ducks took 1-2-3 in the 1500m. They are on the verge of another sweep this year (and could do it with a variety of combinations to boot) and honestly I think it's going to happen. I'm not sure Ches will win, but with 5 guys rolling and a slew of talent to help control the pace, run the race their way and pick up the slack when guys need it.

Alright fine, I'm incredibly bias towards Oregon, but screw it I'm going all in!

1. Ed Cheserek 8:01.64
2. Eric Jenkins 8:02.15
3. Will Geogehan 8:03.99
4. Adam Bitchell 8:05.18
5. Stanley Kebenei 8:06.02 (when in doubt pick the hometown man)

Garrett Zatlin:

3000
5. Stanley Kebenei (Arkansas)- 7:48.98
4. Will Geoghegan (Oregon)- 7:47.33
3. Edward Cheserek (Oregon)- 7:45.24
2. Kemoy Campbell (Arkansas)- 7:44.86
1. Eric Jenkins (Oregon)- 7:43.01

Explanation: Yes, I did put the King at third for this race. Am I doubting him too much? Maybe. But finishing your triple on the 3k and racing against a field that is absolutely stacked with talent makes me doubt that Cheserek can win. Jenkins has arguably been (I’ll get a lot of crap for this) the most impressive runner in the NCAA this season. Every race he has run in has been more impressive than the other. I say he’ll take the win over Kemoy Campbell who has simply been way too good to not give him second. Part of me wanted to put him down for the win but something in my gut told me to go with Jenkins. Will Geoghegan has put together some very nice performances recently and that’s why I give him fourth. Kebenei has shadowed Campbell for much of the season and should be ready to follow up him teammates performance. I say Kebenei will stay close enough to get fifth.


Caleb Gatchell
The 3k carries a whole lot of drama with it. Can Ches pull off the triple? How many Oregon guys will score? I have to go with Cheserek for the win, if you want my full reasoning, see my earlier post. Then I’m going out on a little bit of a limb. I think the ducks one up what they did in cross country, and go 1-2-3, with Cheserek followed across the line by Jenkins, and then Geoghegan. These guys have run ridiculously fast this year, and I think they’ll get it done again here, especially with a potential 1-2-3 finish as motivation. Then, in 4th and 5th, I think we will see another pair of teammates in Kemoy Campbell and then Stanley Kebenei. I can’t really give you a great reason for this, but I really like both runners, and I think they will find a way to work together and finish right behind the Oregon trifecta.
1: Edward Cheserek
2: Eric Jenkins
3: Will Geoghegan
4: Kemoy Campbell
5: Stanley Kebenei

3 comments:

  1. No love for Creese?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually considered Creese briefly. But the Oregon men have absolutely dominated this event and I felt that they deserved at least 3 spots. Another spot goes to Kemoy Campbell which is a no-brainer. The last spot is difficult but I had to give it to someone other than Creese mainly because Creese is doubling back from the DMR on Day 1 and has only run the 3k twice this season. Of course 7:50 is still a 7:50 and if the race gets too tactical I could definitely see Creese placing very well. That's just my mindset though

      Delete
  2. this Parker Stinson thing is getting a little out of hand

    ReplyDelete