The Commit: Dave Whitfield

By: Garrett Zatlin

Dave Whitfield took some time to talk about his college decision in another article of The Commit series! Take a look at our conversation below...

Garrett Zatlin: Before we talk about your college commitment, let’s chat about some of your recent performances. During the winter season, you actually played hockey while running track, right? Talk a little bit about trying to balance those two during your junior and senior years.

Dave Whitfield: Yeah, I did play hockey and track during the winter. My junior year, I played for my high school and also a club team. It was very hard trying to fit all that in with indoor plus school work. Typically, I had club hockey practice 2 times during the week, after my track practice (daily). Then on Saturday, I would have meets at Lehigh in the morning followed by a high school game at night. On Sunday, I usually got a longer run in before my second club hockey game of the weekend; also followed by a high school practice at night. This whole entire process was very tiring and time consuming, but it was 2 sports that I loved to play. After I ran 1:53 my junior season, I cut back on the ice time by only playing for my high school this year. This helped me focus on getting the proper rest while getting more base work in.

GZ: 2016 was your breakout year where you ran 1:53 to PR by 2.5 seconds and win the District 12 title. Did you know that you had that kind of speed in you? What did a time and win like that do to your confidence?

DW: That exact race was probably one of the best days of my life. It opened so many opportunities in my life that I am very grateful for. After my sophomore season splitting 1:58 at districts, I had a goal set in my mind. I definitely wanted to go 1:54 by my junior season, and sub 1:51 by senior season. I had no clue that I was going to run that fast at districts, but I knew a pr was coming. I always tend to run really well at districts. That race was a huge confidence booster and indicator that I can run with the top guys in the state.

GZ: You had a really nice season opener at Neshaminy where you ran 1:56. Are you happy with where your fitness is right now?

DW: I am pretty happy with my first 800 of the season. I was expecting right around a 1:56 or lower for the first open 800.

GZ: According to MileSplit, you’re the 3rd fastest returner in the 800 from last season. What are your expectations for the rest of outdoor in 2017? Do you feel like there is any pressure on you to perform at a high level?

DW: It's very humbling coming back as one of the top 800 runners in the state. I don’t really want to dwell too much on last years time because it's a new season. I feel like there is a little bit of pressure keeping up with the top of the state and continuing to drop hot times. However, when I step on the line, all the anxiety goes away and it’s just about having fun at that point. Getting sub 1:51 and sub 49 for the 400 would be ideal this season. Also, I must get a state medal!!! I’ve been way too close to receiving one and it's so aggravating, so hopefully I’ll get one this year.

GZ: Now that our high school discussion is over, let’s get into what we are really here for. Where have you committed to go after high school? Have you declared your major yet?

DW: I just committed to Virginia Tech not too long ago and planning on majoring in Statistics!

GZ: What other universities did you look at? What made Virginia Tech standout?

DW: I've talked to a lot of universities but the few that stood out were Miami (FL), Boise State, and Pitt. Virginia Tech really stood out to me because of the people on campus. When I took a visit down there, everyone was very welcoming, friendly, and it just felt like home. I love the campus itself and the rich school tradition it exemplifies throughout everything they do. The person that stood out to me the most was Ben Fleming, a kid already committed to Tech in my recruiting class. He welcomed me in and showed me all around campus. I got the true, sincere feeling of Blacksburg within a weekend span.

GZ: Have you discussed with the coach what your training will be like? Was there a certain training philosophy mentioned that resonated with you?

DW: As a middle distance guy, I won’t just be training with the cross guys but I’ll actually be racing at all the home meets next year. I won’t be running varsity but I’m really excited to get the base and endurance early on for the track seasons. I’m gonna be more generated to run the 800/1500 than anything, which I’m also very excited about. With all the great training in the fall, my open 800 will be better than ever.

GZ: You’ll be entering a program that just won the indoor ACC championships and has all five of their sub-1:50 guys returning for next year. Tell us your thoughts on being able to compete and train with such an elite mid-distance group.

DW: This opportunity to run and train with the best is a blessing in itself. I never thought I would be running at this level, ever! The thought of it seems pretty crazy but I’m going to be ready to give it my all. I’m going to try my very best to stick with them and hopefully fill their shoes one day.

GZ: What are you most looking forward to about training and competing at the next level? Is there anyone you are excited to compete against?

DW: I’m looking forward to traveling to all the different universities for meets next year. I’m definitely excited to get that needed base work in early on in training. Endurance is the number one thing I tend to struggle with during workouts and races. If I can get that attribute down, who knows what kind of runner I can be in the near future. 

I am really excited to race some of the big name PA Alumni that I tend to look up to even to this day. Guys like Kevin James, Matt Wisner, Dom Perretta, Justin Jones, and John Lewis are runners that I’ve learned from just by watching them race at high level meets. I am also very excited to race against one of my good friends/rival, Steve Mcclellan, next year. Every time we race it’s always a positive outcome for both of us.

GZ: What is the impact you want to leave throughout your collegiate racing career?

DW: Hopefully, I can be on the hot 4x8 and DMR at some point in my collegiate career. Also, I hope to be one of the best 800 guys to come out of Virginia Tech.

GZ: What advice do you have for current juniors that are going through the college recruiting process right now?

DW: Definitely, do not wait for coaches to contact you. There are so many runners in high school, college coaches don't get a chance to reach out to everyone unless you're one of the top in your event. Try to email the college of your choice as soon as possible. The earlier, the better. Another tip is to try to be as versatile as possible with the events that you run. It will definitely help you out in your college process. In my 4 years I’ve only been geared toward 1 event. If you have the opportunity to try new events, don't be scared to experiment.


GZ: What is one thing we need to know about you?

DW: If I’m not running, sleeping, or reading Etrain, I’m always low key playing PS4. So, without a doubt add me on PSN if you want to see how I get down after track hours. (Dwhitty07)

GZ: Twitter plug?

DW: Follow your finest Bonner boy @King_Dave57. If you have any general questions about track or anything, do not be scared to message me. Im literally on twitter 24/7.

GZ: Any shout outs?

DW: Shoutout to my wonderful coaches at Bonner, especially Coach Kevin Kee and Greg Thomas. Another shoutout to Ryan Rastatter, Sean Sullivan, Ethan Cook, Tony Harper, and Alaina Johnson for pushing me throughout my 4 years of high school. One last shoutout to my future Brokies next year at VT. Go Hokies !


1 comment: