Interview with Nate McClafferty

PA alumn and current Duke runner Nate McClafferty is in the middle of a phenomenal season this indoors, highlighted by a huge 2:52 1200m leg going toe to toe with Matt Centrowitz and Mike Rutt. I was fortunate enough to get the chance to ask him a few questions and here is what he had to say ...

etrain: Each runner has a different path that leads them to the sport. How did you end up becoming a runner? When did you realize that running was not just something you enjoyed, but also something you were good at?

Nate: Even when I was young, I was always good at running.  My Grandfather would (and still does) call me Forrest Gump because I was always the fastest on all my sport teams, and more importantly I was the fastest grandkid, even though I was the youngest. My family and I always thought I should be a runner, so in 7th grade I went out for the track team.  Right away it clicked, and I was running some competitive times (low-5:00 for the 1600) in my first few races.   I did every sport I could growing up, so the hardest part was transitioning away from these to running.  I was a pretty good wrestler as well, so giving that up was really tough, but in the end it came down to which sport I enjoyed more.

etrain: I'm not sure if this is true, but one of my friends told me you are a former Latin Convention champion in the 1600m. I attended the Latin Convention for a couple years before it started overlapping with districts/states. I'm not sure where the question comes in here, I just think it would be a funny coincidence if you ran there.

Nate: Yeah it’s actually a pretty funny story.  In 9th grade I went to the JCL convention and ran the 1600.  There was like 6 of us running, but for whatever reason they split us into 2 heats.  I was in the first one, and lapped everyone in my heat and just jogged it in.  In the second heat though, a kid beat my time by less than a second because he sprinted to the line.  I’m very competitive so this really irked me.  So the next year, my sophmore year, I go to the convention again.  This time I’m not losing.  I bring my track spikes, my racing shorts and my uniform.  I do my regular warmup, strides and everything.  Its right after my season ended so I’m still in pretty good shape.  They line us up and I just go all out.  I think I ran under 4:40, which had to be a JCL record.  My friends still make fun of me for going so hard in it.

etrain: The stretch run of your Junior year was one of your big breakthroughs, culminating with a PR (4:14?) and a state medal. What do you think helped transform you into a state caliber runner? You were also a part of back to back district champions in cross. Did this play a role in your progression?

I was fortunate because I had great teammates in High School.  They were always able to push me to become a better runner, and more importantly they were all my best friends.  I looked up to them, and still do.  They taught me that hard work pays off, and that confidence in yourself is the most important aspect of a race.
As for my breakout Junior year, I’m not really sure what ‘transformed’ me.  My training was the same, and I think my mentality was very similar.  I think it had more to do with just having an extra year of training in my legs to get used to more mileage and more consistent workouts.

etrain: After CW, you chose to attend Duke University. What factors allowed you to come to that decision? What are you studying at school and what did you plan to study when making your decision?

Nate: I chose Duke because it was really the best of both worlds when it comes to academics and athletics.  Obviously it’s a top-notch university, and that was very important to me.  I’m an economics major, which is what I planned to study coming in.
I chose to run there because I really felt like I fit in during my visit there.  My High School team was so close, and I really hoped I could have those same types of relationships in college.  They also compete in one of the top conferences in the country, which definitely helped.  Finally it stays pretty warm here in the winter, which is definitely a bonus.  It was 70 here yesterday, while at home it was 35.  Can’t beat that.

etrain: How was training different at Duke compared to high school? How did things stay the same? What was the adjustment like both running and away from running in school and socially? How have you enjoyed your time so far at Duke?

Nate: The major difference in training is the volume of everything.  Higher mileage, longer workouts, more workouts, fewer rest days.  That definitely took about a year to get used to.  Socially though things were remarkably similar.  I was worried coming in that I wouldn’t quite bond with my teammates like in high school, but by the end of my first semester I never worried about that again. The team culture is great, and everyone wants the other achieve his goals.  I’ve loved my time at Duke, and am sad its coming to an end.

etrain: This season, so far, seems to be another breakout year for you. You already have one of the fastest miles in the NCAA and now have added an excellent leg in a record setting DMR. Has anything been different about this season vs others?

Nate: Again, I think it has more to do with just getting another year of training in.  Staying healthy, getting used to the mileage, and being consistent in workouts is the most important thing.

etrain: Talk about the highlights of your career thus far. Racing at the Armory Invite was likely a special experience, toeing the lines with top pros and past NCAA champs. What did it mean to hold your own in that type of field?

Nate: Yeah racing the Armory against those top teams was an awesome experience.  Centro is one of my favorite runners, so shaking his hand “good luck” was really cool.  I was really ready to go and just felt smooth on my strides and everything, so I knew I was going to race well.  I didn’t necessarily think I’d hand off in second with a 2:52, but I knew I could compete with them.  The race just gives me a lot of confidence now going into the latter part of indoor.  

etrain: After this excellent start, what are your goals for the rest of the season? What are your plans for the future both running related and non running related? Do you have any advice or knowledge you would like to share with the next generation of runners?

Nate: This week I am racing in Iowa with the goal to break 4 in the mile, and hopefully get a qualifying time for NCAA’s.  Then ACC’s rolls around, and I’m still not exactly sure what I’ll be doing there.  As for my future overall, I’m still just figuring it out.

One piece of advice I’d give is to just make sure you listen to your body.  Mileage is important, but it’s not the only important aspect of training.  If your body feels run down or is hurting, don’t be afraid to take an off day or even a down week.  Staying healthy is the most important thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment