The Varsity 7: What's Next?

I know what you're thinking, Etrain now that states is over, why the heck am I going to flip over to your blog? I'm in no mood for Steph Curry references or weird fictional cross country stories.

Fair point fan, readers. But to try and keep our page views from dropping off a cliff, here's a list of some things to expect in the near future that hopefully will catch your eye. As always, we love to hear your ideas (we already have a couple things in motion based on your suggestions).

1 The High School Cross Country season is not over! That's right folks, we still have two very important meets on the horizon with Footlocker Northeast and Nike Cross Regionals both coming up over Thanksgiving weekend. Although states is the most important meet of the year, Footlocker/Nike is really where runners can add/transform their legacy. Plus we get a chance to showcase our talent against the rest of the country. For once, all our best runners are on the same team! Once we get some entry lists, I'll start working on some previews/predictions.

2 Since we currently don't have said entry lists, this blog is a great source to compile information on who is (and is not) going to extend their season and represent Vania on the big stage. Plus you can hear me speculate with little to no evidence! That's great isn't it! Here comes some right now:

NXN
Likely: DT West, GFS, O'Hara
Maybe: Henderson, NA
Doubtful/Out: CB West, LaSalle, CRN

Footlocker
Likely: Brophy, Hockenbury, Mackey
Maybe: Lefever, Curtin, Wolk

Add yours below! And remember, I have little to no inside info on the teams above so feel free to correct me on what's above.

3 NCAA action is still going strong! Regionals is today (by the time you read this it might be over) and nationals will follow shortly. We at the blog will do our best to give you coverage, anchored by our boy from GV and VT, GZ. There may be a prediction contest or at least a group writers post where I get my butt kicked by these youngsters. So anyone who likes to see me be wrong, keep reading! There will plenty of chances! 

4 Without state predictions cluttering up my work queue, I have so much more room for activities! If your a fan of those random posts, the running diaries or even blank space, baby then I'll write your name ... On a list of people that will enjoy the blog. 

5 Paul Hayes! The dude is prepping to get back in the cross train game and, despite the fact that he's shaving his face and losing his 40 year old man style, the guy will still bring his A game to the posting world.

6 College commitments are coming and guess what? We have the best in the business compiling them in Dylan Jaklitsch. Seriously, dude is best in the business. If you saw last year's document you know what I'm talking about.

7 The all-time greats discussion will be in full force. Now I think I got a little over excited throwing around the goat term a couple posts ago and I apologize on that as we still have a lot of running left to do this season. However, since I'm preparing to finish year 10 of XC results studying, once this December hits, I'll give you my top 50 of the last decade, my top 10 teams and some more good old fashioned historical goodies.

I'm proud to say we have some nice all time lists available and extremely excited to share Fredrick Carlson, aka sverige55, has compiled his all time lists for Red, White and Blue and Coopers Lake from official meet results. That list will hopefully be going up in the not too distant future, I've been lame about getting it up, but I will soon!

As the starters say, Embrace the weekend people
-JP Train

5 comments:

  1. How about a 10 for 10? 10 best performances in the last 10 years. Maybe one for team performances and one for individuals. Even open it up to voting and write in's and then crown the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should be all distance events, not just XC. Top 10, 800 meters - through XC in the last 10 years.

      Delete
  2. It was a helluva season. Only people who I say are definite locks are Brophy at FL and DTW at NXN

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Train! Looking forward to those all-time lists being posted for Coopers and RWB! It's Frederick, btw. (common error!) Comments welcome and I'd be up for some top 10 that anonymous suggested last night. I'll kick it off by throwing down 1. best team performance Coatesville 2006 26 points at states and then 2. Coatesville going on to win Nike Nats. I saw those studs burn up Hershey, and my son who set a record at his high school for the 800m jockeyed with their SEVENTH guy for placement...that is supreme depth.--sverige55

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and my #1 individual effort is Brophy's course record 15:24 at Hershey 2014. Monster improvement on the previous 6-7 years of efforts on that course from some darn good runners. 16:00 was an all-world state winning time just a couple years ago.

    ReplyDelete