District Week Previews: District Five

By Jarrett Felix

District 5 Championships 10/26


A (1 Team, 5 Individuals)
So on the confidence scale, this isn’t that high up there. The District 5 schools don’t tend to race a lot of meets that Milesplit has on file and even some of their past district results haven’t made it up to the site. However, I’ve learned over the years that top school from this area tends to be Southern Fulton. They were the state qualifiers from this group the past couple seasons and I see little reason to doubt them this time around. They return a large contingent of last year’s pack including their top two runners from the state meet Chaser Varner and Benjamin Voight. Varner was 79th overall at the A state meet.

Although District 5 A isn’t piling up the medals, they made a name for themselves last year by placing two runners in the top 50 overall. One of those runners is back in 2016, 49th place finisher Trenton Husick of Tussey Mountain. He’s my pick for district champ this year. I also like what I’ve seen from Meyersdale’s Shane Yutzy this season, although he’s not quite as proven or established as Husick, so I spotted him just a spot lower.

It was definitely a little bit of guess and check, just trying to see which kids had races on file, but don’t completely sleep on this district come state time.

AA (1 Team 5 Individuals)
So I told you earlier this week that District 5 AA runs with District 6. Well, turns out I was wrong (hopefully not a huge sign of things to come with all these predictions). This year, District 5 AA has been granted it's own district. I'm not quite sure of all the teams who are in this district, but the big two are Somerset and Bedford. Both of these programs have a chance to make states if things break right this coming week.

Somerset is the favorites, thanks in large part to their top two runners Dominic Mazzariello and Cejay Walker. Those two have been dominant this year with some big invite wins and 1-2 finishes and I expect them to roll through the district and set up well for states. They've got a strong pack and a history of competing at states so I like their odds.

Bedford can qualify as a team if they earn the five automatic individual qualifying spots. This is definitely possible ( I didn't see a ton of teams in District 5 AA). At the very least, they have a strong sophomore in Garrett Cornell who should be able to contend out front and clinch a spot. 

It's so hard to pull something like that off as there is no margin for error. That's why I picked against Bedford personally. However, I'm rooting for it to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment