Day 2 Recap

Another day, another crazy series of races. Today was pretty spectacular, filled with favorites impressing, upsets swirling and just plain stunning results. So let's get to it. Once again in order I saw the results and sporadic as always.

A D4
Remember that time Griffin Molino was really good? He won this race in dominating fashion and he looks ready to defend his title at states in a little over a week. There was nobody within 90+ seconds of him and it's not like he was running against a bunch of scrubs: NE Bradford may end up state champs up at Hershey (especially after the D7 results ... We will get to that). Really cool to see Molino's successor, sophomore Hunter Crawley, have a big day and grab 3rd. Great day for the youngster.

NEB looked solid, through 4 they were really solid. That seems to be a trend with a lot of these A teams (especially Winchester Thurston! But yeah we will get to that) so there will be a bit of pressure on those #5 guys to make moves.

Warrior Run pulled off the double surprise: A) I didn't know they were A and B) I didn't know two states spots were available! But I was pleasantly surprised to see this team punch their ticket to the dance. I liked the way they ran at pre states and again here. Webb has been a strong leader and the pack has followed.

D4 AA
Mt Caramel ... Could they win states? They had a really nice showing today with 4 in the top 10, but 5 was a bit farther back (I'm noticing a trend). They can really mix it up at states, but I think they will struggle against the more complete teams like York Suburban. Grove City, Scranton Prep and Knoch combined with Mt Caramel and whoever gets out of D1 makes me very intrigued.

Somehow AA D4 may end up my best set of predictions for the week. Would not have called that one.

D7 A
Well, well, well. This race did not disappoint me on the hype machine. First off I have to say, anonymous commenter out there, I wish we had met a few days earlier because then maybe I could have pretended I saw this Greensburg CC thing coming. Great job by them grabbing 3rd.

Overall, I gotta say WT and Sewickley were straight up hiding guys from me. For Sewickley, O'Neill, Magee and Hanlon combined for a strong 4-5-6. All those guys have been in and out of the line up to some degree, at least in the results I'm looking at. Their front 3 were real strong again as well. Mackey has been consistently strong week in and week out. They have the look of a state champ and two teams that I saw as their biggest competition (Avonworth and Sacred Heart) fell out of the top 3 and won't be around next week.

I'll admit it, I had no faith in WT and I was quite wrong. This team just put it together when it counted. Now I've been a Loevner-Delaney fan for a while, but Littman and their newfound stud freshman Tristan Forsythe changed the game. 4 in the top 12? Wowzers. And I don't say Wowzers about everything.

Can WT win states? It's certainly possible at a more front loaded meet like states. I think Delaney is going to have a big day at states (he bounced back beautifully last year), but can keep their 5 close enough to hold off pack driven teams like Elk Lake and their district rivals Sewickley? A lot of pressure on Gordan Pollock, another frosh, but if that top 4 stays this good, they have scary potential looking ahead. But for now, they should enjoy a real nice run. Especially for Loevner who has faced some unfortunate circumstances this year and bounced back impressively.

Individually, is this the rise of Perretta? Another win and no just one meet to go. He hasn't shown any signs that he is as good of an XC guy as Molino, but I'm just saying don't sleep on this guy. If anyone I can get the upset it may be Dom.

How sweet would it be to see Dom and Griff team up in a meet of champs against the AAA boys? Sorry couldn't resist ....

Divecchio had a huge day for 2nd. Very interesting to see all these guys next week at states. Lots of medal threats here.

D7 AA
Another awesome team battle that saw the legends in Quaker Valley slip through the cracks of team birth. They still got a gold from Skolonevich who looks fantastic. Hockenbury is the favorite in AAA but after him? Um .... I just don't know man.

Knoch is a real nice team. They have a chance at some state medals. I really like their top 4, I just need to be convinced about their 5. Yeah I know, I say that about everybody, but you know who I don't say it about? York Suburban! That's who these teams are chasing! You need 5!

Props to South Fayette, really impress to get 2nd at districts after losing so many guys form last year. Same for Uniontown. Really solid by both programs.

Samuel Lenze one of my sleepers going into states. Indiana was on of the best 4x8s you never heard of last year. Now Lenze is killing at districts as just a soph. Look out.

For the record, lots of really good Sophs in this top group in D7. Knoch has a couple, Lott and Pfeil. All had good days.

AAA D7
Let the madness continue. VanKooten out, Canon Mac gets 2nd! Jon Weese, who apparently can't run on Saturdays for religious reasons, had a huge moment a senior giving C Mac the lift to states. He was a hero today, fantastic final race for him.

Look Lebo is gonna bounce back. I hate to say this, but this is not exactly something new. I don't know what it is but Lebo consistently struggles at WPIALs. Look at their really good 2011 team. Look at last year. Todd Gunz is going to be better at states and Lebo is still in the top 5 mix. Canon Mac though had a great moment, losing Weese next week will hurt. Props to Linderman he was big time today.

Gotta like Jake Susalla, he did work out there for a top 3 finish. I think he's going to roll all over the hills in Hershey. He's a sleeper for #1 D7 guy at states.

But right now tht title belongs to McGoey (and then Wharrey) who are fantastic front runners. Throw in Seel and the steadily improving Joe Stupak. They have pieces for a solid 5 as well. They are the clear state title favorites barring something crazy out in D1 (wouldn't surprise me). McGoey has been killer good. This team, I hope, will be at NXN but if not McGoey should take a trip to Footlocker. He's having a very impressive season. The best NA guy since Gil no doubt.

Killer days for Jason Krist from Hampton (Hampton gets it done at District time again) and Eric Kennedy! He disappears for over a month and then turns up just in time to be 15th! Curious to watch how that translates to states. And gotta love seeing Mike Kolor come through. I've been on his bandwagon for a while now.

D12 A:
Masterman dominates. It's almost that simple. Some of the guys I thought would contend with their pack ended up in AA. It was too easy for them out there. States should be trickier, but their confidence will be high.

D12 AA:
Bonner looked quite good, but can they continue the momentum against the top dogs at states? Cromity is coming on real strong as a 3. I've always liked PCL squads. They usually peak well and are great on hills. Carroll has some nice guys out front but I'm not sure they have the depth to really compete at states. O'donovan and Kelly are individual sleepers for states.

D12 AAA:
Well ... It's time to admit I'm completely wrong! I said that O'Hara and LaSalle were basically running a dual meet at districts (which is basically true) and I said you can't lose a dual meet if you take the top 3 spots. Whoops.

LaSalle gets some help from St. Joe's Prep and pulls off the upset over O'Hara. What a crazy performance by the LaSalle pack. 34 second 1-7 spread! 7 in front of O'Hara's 4! They have 7 guys who could be a really good 5 on a state title team. But somebody needs to step up. I really, really like all their pieces. I'm big on the LaSalle bandwagon and I like to think I have been. But is this 2008 LaSalle or 2009 LaSalle? The team that slips by onto the medal stand or the team that falls short because they don't have that front runner?

I'll think on it.

But as of right now I think the PCL will have two teams in the top 3 at states. That's my prediction.

Keep in mind though, O'Hara was clearly saving out front. They want states, not districts. They've won district titles, they want the state gold. They have a killer top 3 that rested and still swept the top 3. That front running is going to be really hard to overcome for LaSalle at states. Ohara will improve at 4-5 at states.

I still believe O'Hara has the best chance at unseating NA. But to beat NA, they need the 4-5. Billy D has improved steadily, can he and Pastore match up with Stupak and Dieble?

I guess we gotta wait a bit ....

3 comments:

  1. Good strategy by OH but three years too late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Word is Kolor out of Seneca Valley has been battling low ferritin and iron issues.

    ReplyDelete