Horse Racing

Fun fact: Horse Racing is popular. I'd say it's more popular than track and field and certainly more popular than cross country.

I believe one of the primary reasons is gambling! Who doesn't love gambling? (For the record I stole this from Nick Symmonds).

So I have an idea that I think might be fun and feel free to tell me I'm stupid.

I'm thinking we set up a betting league (USING NO REAL MONEY) here on the blog just for fun to add a little spice to the races and incentivize people to get a little more involved.

Here's how I see it working, I post some odds before the big invites. Viewers like you can then comment your bet(s) below and I will keep track of the imaginary money everyone has won over the course of the season. We can then see if you guys as betters can make more money than me as the odds maker.

So it's kinda a you vs me challenge as well.

Here would be a couple ground rules.

1. When you make a bet I would prefer for you to write your name or some type of code name with your bet so that I can keep track of how everyone does. I will take anonymous bets if they are made, but you would get no glory in being correct (I will however count it as lost money for me in the interest of fairness)

2. I will always post odds for "the field". If you bet the field, if anyone wins who isn't one of the people I have explicitly given odds for, you win. It doesn't matter who it is or who you think it will be (although feel free to comment who you think it will be for fun).

3. I just want to establish this won't be real money one more time. Not trying to start an illegal underground gambling ring here. It's just for fun. But because it's not real money and I don't feel like doing complicated math, the min bet is 1 dollar and the max bet is 100.

4. This applies only to PA runners. The top PA runner/team in the field is the winner and the odds only apply to the winner. So hypothetically say Paul Short results were some NJ kid, Abert and then Molino only the people who bet on Abert would get the pay out and no one else would.

If you have any questions let me know. Remember this is just supposed to be fun, if people are offended by this idea, I will pull the plug but I feel like it's pretty much the same as when I make predictions so hopefully no ones feelings get hurt.

Here are the Paul Short odds:
C. Abert 2:1
G. Molino 5:2
Ja. Hoey 3:1
P. Power 4:1
N. Dahl 9:1
B. Szuhaj 15:1
A. Marston 20:1 (I don't think he's coming so I'm giving you good odds here)
The Field 30:1

Malvern Prep 3:2
GFS 8:1
Easton 9:1
Parkland 12:1
Cumberland Valley 12:1
The Field 25:1

Plus some fun prop bets
Winning time under 15:30, 4:1
10 guys sub 16 or more, 12:1
Out of State Finisher in the top 5, 3:1
Out of State Team Champion, 7:1
Sub 15, 30:1

Feel free to bet on as much or as little as you'd like. Give me your feed back on how you feel about this idea as well.

And As my dad says, don't bet on the ponies.

21 comments:

  1. Ches Mont 1
    $100 on Jaxson Hoey for the win
    Can I bet that 10 guys don't go sub 16? If so, $50 there.

    This is a great idea. If it takes off, you can set up an off shore account and go live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is how betting against 10 guys going sub 16 would work ... You and I basically switch roles .. If 10 guys go sub 16 you have to pay out 50*12 ... If they don't, you would get 50 from me ... If that makes sense and you would like to make the bet, I will count it

      Delete
    2. Count it.

      Ches Mont 1

      Delete
  2. I also think this a great idea! I'll bet $50 on Power as well as $100 GFS. $75 on the winner going sub 15:30.
    -WACKH (that's gonna be my name for keeping track)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ill take $100 on Power.

    -TR25

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually why not fantasy XC?

    Year leagues could draft runners, then build virtual meets! Heck they already do virtual meets over on milesplit.

    Heck fantasy football is the primary thing growing spectators around the country for the NFL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct, fantasy XC would be sweet but here are some issues. 1) you don't necessarily race every week 2) not all courses are created equal

      Definitely more possible in track although there are different events (I tried doing fantasy track and could never quite get it going)

      We do a fantasy draft before XC states every year because it's one race, everyone head to head and easy to score. Usually a fun little event.

      Delete
    2. Jarrett,

      I still don't see an issue. The NFL has "bye weeks". You would just need to draft like 12 guys, then manage your lineup.

      Each week, some NFL players go against tough defenses, some go against soft ones. It would all just be part of setting your line up.

      Delete
    3. You know you are right! That's a great point. It's definitely possible with good strategy and attention to detail. I'll have to keep this in mind. Thanks for bringing this up.

      Delete
  5. I will put $50 on Ja Hoey, and would like to put $1000 on Parkland beating Easton.

    Nufty

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll put $100 on Power and $50 on MP
    -MRD

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got $100 on Abert Winning. 100 on Malvern Prep Being too PA team. And 75 on winning time under 15:30.
    -WeDemBoyz

    ReplyDelete
  8. $100 on winner sub 15:30.
    $50 on Malvern winning.
    $20 on Ben Wilson Top 5 in White

    ReplyDelete
  9. Come on Etrain, I can’t resist a good bet. You’re drawing me back in!

    This is a big race for the individuals, some top dogs going at it on a fast course. The weather will soften it up and slow it down but these guys should still be flying. I’m still liking Abert on just about any other course, but Lehigh usually favors the milers. I’m assuming Hoey is back 100% from dehydration and out to make a statement since he won’t get these to race these guys as states. Same with his team. So my fake money is on the Malvern boys.

    $100 on Hoey at 3:1
    $100 on MP at 3:2
    $100 on winning time under 15:30 at 4:1
    $100 on 10 guys don't go sub-16, whatever those odds are

    - RJJL

    ReplyDelete
  10. $100 on Malvern winning
    $100 on winning time sub 15:30
    $100 on 10 guys sub 16 or more
    -HSC

    ReplyDelete
  11. $100 on Hoey at 3:1
    $100 on GFS at 8:1 (based on MP #2 or #3 man not running - pure hunch)
    $100 on winning time under 15:30 at 4:1

    -Eye Glass
    side note but not bet: 4 guys under 15:30 (instate and out of state combined)

    ReplyDelete
  12. 50 on molino
    50 on MP

    RF

    ReplyDelete
  13. 100 on 10 guys under 16.
    -BJS

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like WeDemBoyz and HSC came out on top

    ReplyDelete
  15. You can see the results on the Odds Makers Results tab of the blog. Let me know if any math looks wrong.

    ReplyDelete