13 Going on 30

By Jarrett Felix

I try not be too serious of a person. So sometimes, when things get too serious, you have to step back and remember to enjoy the gifts you’ve been given. And for me, I received a lovely gift this week when Mr. Wardell Stephen Curry II broke the NBA record for 3s made in a game with 13. And I want to enjoy that gift and invite you all to enjoy it with me.

You might be thinking, wait Steph didn’t already have the record for made 3s in a game? That’s right. Amazing as it sounds given his triple prowess, he was only tied for the record before this game with Kobe Bryant and Donyell Marshall at 12. Now you are probably pouring one out for Donyell Marshall who loses an important tie to NBA history. That’s fair, just make sure you are pouring one out in a proper location.

Now that we’ve completed the only paragraph in blog history featuring Donyell Marshall, it’s time to begin the 239th paragraph in blog history featuring Wardell, Jr. To celebrate Steph’s 13 triceratopses (probably not going to catch on as hip new slang), I’ve compiled by 13 favorite Steph Curry memories. Feel free to share your own as I’m sure you all have many.

1. Davidson Steph
This is probably my favorite Steph. He looks even younger, scrawny and less intimidating than he does now, but he balls even bigger because he plays for Davidson and not the Heatles 2.0 (we need a cool name for the GSW like the Lebron “Heatles”). Remember, he scored like a million against Maryland his first year and then the next he rolled to the elite eight and went all the way to the wire with future National Champs Kansas.

When Davidson made their tournament run, ESPN put together an awesome highlight reel and it has my all-time favorite Steph highlight. He catches a pass in the corner and the defense freaks out so a close out defender just goes flying past him. Steph just stands there, watches him fly by and then calmly nails the wide open three. I did that in the driveway by myself on multiple occasions.

2. 2k Curry
I kinda forgot that I loved Steph Curry for a little bit during a dark time in my life, but then my Junior year of college (this is 2012-2013 season for those of you following the timeline at home), I started playing a lot of NBA 2k. That’s when my feelings for Steph were rekindled. This was pre-MVP season and all that stuff, but he was still a pretty good shooter with solid handles and passing. So naturally, I drafted him #1 overall for the Philadelphia 76ers and we won a bunch of titles with Steph, DeAndre Jordan, Serge Ibaka, James Harden and Chandler Parsons.

Yes, in 2012-2013, you could get that squad no problem.

3. Threes
In the words of Zach Lowe, “3 is so much fundamentally more than 2.”

4. Warriors vs. Spurs
So in the 2012-2013 season, as mentioned, I was all about Steph thanks to NBA 2k. I translated that into real life, especially when we hit playoff basketball. That year young Del was the 6 seed in his first playoff appearance and they upset the Denver Nuggets. Then, they went on to play the legendary San Antonio Spurs. I like the Spurs, but I was rooting hard core for the Bridges. Steph had a pretty sick start to the series and they put the pressure on the savvy vets, but ultimately those savvy vets hung on and won the series. But now that I had rooted for Steph hard core in actual, non computerized basketball, I understood my true purpose in life.

5. Warriors vs. Clippers
Rivalries are cool. They make sports cool. Steph is already cool so he didn’t necessarily need a rival, but I mean if you are going to offer me one, I’m not going to turn you down.  

6. That Time Drake Said “Been Steph Curry with the Shot”
It was a perfect combination of two important people in my life. I like Drake. I like to say things that Drake says. This one was great because 1) it was about Steph, 2) there were no swear words, and 3) I desperately needed something to say when I shoot my balled up socks into my laundry hamper for 10 feet away and miss awkwardly. Now it’s funny instead of just a sad reminder of my lack of baller related skills.

7. Steph likes to joke
I don’t remember the exact details of this, but one time apparently Steph tweeted a phone number on twitter and said it was his. Problem was, it wasn’t his. It was just his buddy’s number and, man, that buddy got his phone blown up Samsung style. I have a few friends that I could imagine doing something like that. I think I would kinda laugh but kinda be upset if one of my current friends did that to me, but with Steph I think I would mostly laugh and be a little upset.

8. Steph hits that shot against OKC
When you have the confidence to pull up from the logo and hit game winners, your swag levels are right in that range that makes you starting crying and you’re not completely sure why it’s happening and you’re pretty sure they are happy tears, but at the same time there is just so much emotion in your body that it’s hard to distinguish the directional vectors of your passion.

9. That Time Drake Said “Been Steph Curry with the Shot”
I can’t emphasize enough how critical of a moment this one in my life.

10. Steph Curry Commercials
The SC30 brand took off which was great. His shoes didn’t get a lot of love, but UA is doing big business with him. Water has never been more awesome than BRITA is now that Steph is on the filter. I use Degree deodorant now. I actually don’t, but I mean I thought about it.

This isn’t a good memory actually, but I just felt the need to get this somewhere. Chris and Cliff Paul are the face of State Farm and they deserve it. Steph and a State Farm twin were revealed once in a commercial. I thought for sure it would be Steph and Jeff. C’mon. Jeff is a great State Farm insurance name. But no. They go with Sebastian or something like that. You did too much State Farm. You did too much.

11. Steph gives the Sixers a three-peat
Three straight championships for the Sixers with Steph as the finals MVP. I’m going back to NBA 2k here, sorry for the confusion. Steph just gave Philly a 3rd straight title. We traded James Harden for Gordon Hayward because he was getting anxious, we let Chandler Parsons walk in free agency, but Steph continued to lead the team to the promise land.

12. The Dubs come back from 3-1
OK, this was a cool moment. It was super exciting watching a team battle back from the brink. But it also had a little trend setting component. In 2016 we have had a lot of 3-1 comebacks, but the Warriors did it first.

Of course, the Rockets kinda did it first with their performance against the Clippers but that doesn’t help my point.

13. That Time he lost to Lebron
Why is this one of my favorite memories you may ask? Well, it’s simple. First and foremost, it showed that Steph is, in fact, not an alien. Well, I take that back. It proved that if Steph is an alien, we don’t have to be concerned that he is from a super race that has perfected the human image and will inevitably conquer our world (side note: we better hope the Lebron aliens are on our side, because those things will be impossible to stop should they decide to take over Earth). Second, it kinda took some of the spotlight off Steph and Dubs. Too many people were getting on the Steph bandwagon and it was making me kinda sad. I had a bit more room when I jumped on the bandwagon and I was starting to get claustrophobic after 2 MVPs, a title and 73 wins.

Of course then KD came along. I’m still working out how KD coming along impacts Steph. My initial reaction is I don’t like it. But much like Steph’s record setting performance, sometimes you have to hit rock bottom to turn things around and make history.

Steph hit 0 threes the game before he hit 13. I was trying to make a dramatic post ending but got scared I wasn’t clear in my vague statement. I feel like I just ruined it by explaining it though. Dang it.

PS Not to brag or anything, but how awesome is the title 13 going on 30? I just thought of this right now and I'm really excited. Right? Guys? 13 3s? 30 is his number? Jennifer Garner? Mark Ruffalo? Anyone?

Alright I'll go back to talking about running.

2 comments:

  1. This is main page material right here

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm glad you liked it, it was fun to write haha

    ReplyDelete